Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Stainless or custom car exhaust thoughts/experience
  • sas78

My Mazda 3 2.0 Sport 56 plate has eaten it’s exhaust, I got quote for a replacement – £828 for supply only of an OEM Mazda one and my garage can’t find an equivalent from factors so I’m wondering if anyone has had one made by Powerflow, or A.N.Other…

I’m NOT after performance or sound improvements(although a “nice” exhaust note would be a bonus! :D) it’s a family car and we’re keeping til it dies as we’ve had it since nearly new and it’s had very little go wrong, has low miles and so I thought a stainless exhaust might be the job for longevity?

Any experiences/thoughts – recommendations in Edinburgh or near?

Thanks in advance.

Scott.

Jaz1979
    Free Member

Hi, it won’t help you location wise but I had a custom exhaust made for my 06 Mazda 5 made by AMD in Lakeside and its great (build is perfect, and it sounds lovely).

The reviews i’ve had of powerflow seem to be very mixed, and it seems getting a good one is based very much on who does it

trail_rat
    Free Member

powerflow is a franchise not a brand.

i was surprised to read you cant find an exhaust… so had a look in my usual haunts – sure as shit – i can get a mid box but nothing else…..

*scores mazda off potential cars for yet another reason*

sas78

Thanks all – good responses. Have dropped them a line in that there Devon.

Trail_Rat I think it’s just the 2.0MZR Mazda3 exhaust that’s difficult to source – which seems strange as there’s loads about. The 1.6 and diesels are all fine I believe.

globalti
    Free Member

I fitted a SS exhaust to my diesel Land Rover and every year, without fail, the silencer mounting bracket broke because it was made from a brittle stainless steel unsuited to the location. Every year they sent me a new box with a slightly different design and every year it broke again.

The sound of stainless steel is different to mild, somehow tinnier and less muffled. If I ever buy another Landy I will fit a standard mild steel manufacturer’s exhaust for the lower hassle factor and lower noise.

nedrapier

Good info, gt. I’ll remember that.

I bought a Honda NS125R years ago that needed a new exhaust – expansion chamber and silencer. Honda wanted £230 just for the silencer. Micron wanted £130 for the whole lot.

Micron got my money, I got 90% more power and a very fun, but illegal little motorbike. The Micron sticker stayed in the box.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Gti its well documented in landy worlds that stainless exhausts go brittle due to heat and dunking in cold water

chewkw
    Free Member

sas78 – Member

My Mazda 3 2.0 Sport 56 plate has eaten it’s exhaust, I got quote for a replacement – £828 …

Crikey! How much! 😯

What does that include? 😮

TheFlyingOx

Might be struggling for a new Mazda 3 2.0 exhaust on a budget. It looks like it was just one big piece from the manifold back, installed in a oner then the rear suspension installed after that. It’ll be costly because of all the work required to change it.

You can get MPS exhausts cheap enough, but they are a bigger diameter. You may be able to knock up a reducer somehow.

If you don’t want some boy racer bean can thing, which I’m guessing a lot of the ones you can buy over here are, I’d be look at a Racing Beat exhaust from the States. About £350 + import duty, so maybe £450 total? Looks like it does away with faffing about with the rear suspension too, as it comes in bits which clamp together. Despite the name, they are very refined indeed. I had one on my old RX7, which was originally very loud and obnoxious to the point of being embarrassing to drive. One Racing Beat later and it was as quiet as the wife’s Ford Ka.

sas78

Well, I ended up going custom and got a full “cat-back” system designed and installed by Stainless Creations in Falkirk. It was £440 all-in and they did it in a couple of days and it’s amazing – very subtle looking (I wanted a “stock” looking tailpipe) and the weld quality is lovely, shame it’s hidden!

Really, really nice guys too and I’d recommend them without doubt.

The website is “interesting”, particularly the “Shows” tab!!

But in all honesty it was a great service from them and considerably cheaper than Mazda for a much superior exhaust system which is guaranteed for the life of the car.

Sounds great too… 🙂

globalti
    Free Member

Eek! I went and looked at that “shows” tab! What a rough-looking bint!

rocketman
    Free Member

Have a word with an independant tyre shop they sometimes know someone who puts exhausts together

Got one made a few years ago for mrs rocket’s Fiesta ST from the cat backwards. Cost wasn’t that far off a decent mild steel pipe and up on the ramps it looked gorgeous. Sound can be tailored by the builder ours sounds slighty more bass at tickover and has more of a bark through the gears but is not actually that loud

JulianA
    Free Member

globalti – Member
    Eek! I went and looked at that “shows” tab! What a rough-looking bint!

Harsh, globalti! Granted, the outfit’s a little trashy but I rather liked the corset and thought she was easy enough on the eye.

loddrik
    Free Member

Years ago I had a Subaru Impreza P1, wasn’t loud enough for me so I stuck a Blitz NUR Spec R on it. It shook the whole house when I started it. It terrified old women and children as I drove past. It was great.

willard

My mechanic suggested I put a Milltek on my TT because it would “make the car sound so nice I would want to start it up at midnight to listen to the noise”.

It is the V6 version, so he may have a point.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Stainless or custom car exhaust thoughts/experience’ is closed to new replies.