Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Stainburn postcode
  • billysugger
    Free Member

Yeah I realise it’s not ‘in’ Stainburn, it’s a forest blah but has anyone got a postcode that’ll get me there or near?

Going trail centre cherry poppin tomorrow.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

LS21 2

Dob Park Road

Should do you.

http://g.co/maps/6v5qy

EDIT: Hang on, no…

LS21 Farnley Lane, but Dob Park is in the same area.

http://g.co/maps/4mzkp

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

It’s the Norwood Edge car park (not Stainburn Forest car park).

You do realise it’s not a normal trail centre don’t you?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    ncfenwick
    Free Member

Can you explain why it’s not a normal trail centre?

Cheers

peterfile
    Free Member

It’s got no facilities (other than a car park) and is pretty small.

That said, the black route is one of the most technically demanding I have ever ridden (not scary, just very very difficult to complete without stopping!) and the Descent run is great fun on a hardtail.

I’ve spent many, many days at Stainburn (used to live in North Leeds) and was rarely bored. It’s prefect for sessioning.

One major issue though….if it’s windy the Descent run is horrible, the wind blows right up the hill and saps any speed you have. But you can play in the forest until your heart’s content 🙂

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

And see if you can clear the slab (or whatever it is called) without dabbing on entry or exit.

🙂

That’s me, that is 🙂

And others who bottled it…

Simon

A taste of the Boulder Trail, a nice little video by Pook off here.

[video]http://vimeo.com/10976671[/video]

More info on Stainburn here.

Pook

ooh ello. cheers Simon!

I think the postcode is GN4 AR

billysugger
    Free Member

Thanks peeps.

Weather’s due to be good and I’m only an hour away so won’t be too disappointed if I have to do a few runs.

Isn’t there some trails over the road? Might try these if we get (nearly put bored but that never happens on 2 wheels) silly.

Simon

There are trails over the road in Norwood. I was up there riding on Monday night and it was very messy, loads of mud and standing water. It was fun but hard going and virtually un-rideable in places!

billysugger
    Free Member

Looks like we might be getting silly over the road then.

Is there phone reception up there? 😮

Simon

😆 @ Pook, just spotted the postcode.

billysugger
    Free Member

Holy poo. It’s rocky. Might put a vid up if we don’t look like we’ve just discovered mtb’ing.

Only fell off the seesaw twice

Simon

Go on let’s have a look at the vid! Did you have fun?

billysugger
    Free Member

Yeah any day on 2 wheels is fun in my book.

Good weather. Was pretty small but we were only there for a few hours anyway. Highest part of the black turning left when you come in from the main road was my favorite bit. Nice berms, couple of small doubles, that bit seemed to flow well but they’re always going to have problems making something flow around there with it being so rocky.

I’ll put a vid on this thread at some point. Not made one yet 🙂 I felt fast over the stuff higher up but you can bet I’ll look like Mr Bean

Surprising how good your balance really is when you start playing on seesaws and skinny bits of wood

billysugger
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3FkA52yJwo[/video]

Not easy to commit when you don’t know where it goes.

peterfile
    Free Member

Highest part of the black turning left when you come in from the main road was my favorite bit.

I think you mean the Descent Line (which is part of the red)? Did you cycle up the road from the car park, then drop into the trail off to the left after about 200 yards?

The black starts from the car park itself.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

He was riding Stainburn without a helmet on?

:-O

You don’t seem to have done much of the really technical stuff though – or did you edit it out?

peterfile
    Free Member

He was riding Stainburn without a helmet on?

I noticed that too, but didn’t want to be the one to start the No Helmet Nazi movement 🙂

To be fair, the first time I ever did the black, I put some knee pads on when I got back to the car before we started a second loop. Not somewhere I like riding without reasonable protection never mind a helmet. Especially in winter, I’ve come off all to often on Hovis Corner and the shore stuff.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Yeah, Stainbuurn is the only place in the UK I have ridden with knee/elbow pads on and really wouldn’t ride it with a helmet – but that is riding the parts that seem to be missing from the OPs video so perhaps he didn’t do that part?

billysugger
    Free Member

Did it all but set off out of the car park thinking we’d check it out first only to be at the bottom in 2 minutes. Checked a lot of it out on the way back up, played on the seesaw bit for half an hour or so but didn’t have the camera out at that point. We were supposed to be getting a feel for the place. Wish I had because it was bail city.

No he’s not wearing a lid.

Bit I liked most must have been the top of the red then.

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

What particuarly amused me is seeing the track by the wall (about 2:40 onward in the video) being ridden as a descent 😀

On a wet shitty day several years ago, Lee and I walked around the place planning the original routes with a roll of blue baler twine, and we decided that was going to be the best route for the climb back to the top 😆

That was before the central block of trees was felled, and shortly after that young lass Leanne Tiernan was found – and I can assure you it was a darker, less pleasant place than it is now 😯

billysugger
    Free Member

What particuarly amused me is seeing the track by the wall (about 2:40 onward in the video) being ridden as a descent

Oops. Noobs.

Pook

billy….did you enjoy it? that’s all that matters.

Simon

billysugger – Member
    What particuarly amused me is seeing the track by the wall (about 2:40 onward in the video) being ridden as a descent
    Oops. Noobs.

Was originally planned to be a climb, but plan was changed years later to make it a descent.

billysugger
    Free Member

Pook – It was fun. Any day on 2 wheels is. Apart from those that end in hospital.

For the amount of time we had it was perfect.

I need to find somewhere that has drops into steep descents into berm after berm. I was never going to find that at Stainburn but it only took 50 mins to get there so…

I’m getting over a bad arm+wrist injury so probably wasn’t the perfect terrain and I really hurt it popping my seesaw cherry after about 15/20 mins 8)

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Stainburn postcode’ is closed to new replies.