Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Staggering historic miscarriages of justice – Christie/Evans.
  • outofbreath
    Free Member

Looking for something else I came across the staggeringly inept handling of Evans, the bloke who lived in the flat over John Christie:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Christie_(murderer)#Murders_of_Beryl_and_Geraldine_Evans

Basically, without doing any checking of Christie’s history or any kind of search around the flat/garden (where human bones were visible) the Police fitted up Evans for the murders of his daughter and wife. Evans was hanged and Christie wasn’t caught for another 3 years.

Staggering.

Merak

To think some folk would advocate the return of capital punishment.

Even with the advances in crime scene handling, DNA testing etc, the fallibilities of police officers or lab staff mean it could always be the case an innocent party was killed.

Not for me.

johnners
    Free Member

The police have historically had a bit of a tendency to convict the convictable, egged on and abetted by our fine free press in high profile cases.

Northwind

Robert Jones is a crazy one (in the states). Did 23 years despite someone else unconnected also being convicted for the same crime. I mean, no matter how racist you are there’s got to come a point where you think “Yeah, this doesn’t make any sense”, you would think?

outofbreath
    Free Member

I’ve a vague memory of another classic. Bloke pawned a broach. At the same time there was a murder where a broach was stolen. Police interviewed him re broach. It turned out the broach wasn’t the same broach.

Even when the only thing linking the guy with the murder wasn’t a link at all they still made the case and got the conviction – he spend a couple of decades doing hard labour.

Mr_C
    Free Member

I’ve a vague memory of another classic. Bloke pawned a broach.

Are you thinking of Oscar Slater. Not only wasn’t it the same brooch, he’d pawned it several weeks before the murder.

perchypanther
    Free Member

It’s the ones who were clearly guilty and got away with it for years who bother me.

How many innocent victims got into this guys black cab and were never seen again………

Charlie Slater the UK’s most prolific serial killer. Never caught. 😯

RustySpanner

Ali Bin Nasser.
    That’s all I’m saying.

Nico
    Free Member

Yep. I’m all for hanging Chris Evans.

slowoldman

I’m beginning to see a link. It’s the Slaters.

copa
    Free Member

Case of the Cardiff Three takes some beating when it comes to grotesque injustices:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Lynette_White

MoreCashThanDash

Terrible cases. But mainly from 20+ years ago. Either it takes a long time for the truth to come out, or there are thankfully fewer cases in this country nowadays.

One of the few things that put me off the death sentence.

pjt201
    Free Member

johnners – Member
    The police have historically had a bit of a tendency to convict the convictable, egged on and abetted by our fine free press in high profile cases.

MoreCashThanDash – Member
    Terrible cases. But mainly from 20+ years ago. Either it takes a long time for the truth to come out, or there are thankfully fewer cases in this country nowadays.

One of the few things that put me off the death sentence.

See also Barry George vs Jill Dando. Fitted up by the press as being a general weirdo so must be guilty, apart from the fact he wasn’t. And the treatment of Christopher Jefferies after the Jo Yeates murder – he had purple hair so the tabloid press believed he must be guilty, apart from the fact he wasn’t. Robert Murat in the Madeleine McCann case? I could go on…

So it still happens.

Garry_Lager

Not in the same league as those mentioned thus far, but the Gayle Newland case that was in the press recently was a shocking sentence – 8 years for being a confused lesbian. That’s the sort of thing handed down for major criminality, absolute stone age sentencing from the judge.

That’s before you get to the verdict itself, which arose somehow out of a truly incredible story that defied credibility. Currently being appealed I think.

jambalaya
    Free Member

OP an interesting read

@pjt the Jeffries case was more about the police leaking (selling) info to the press that he was a suspect. I think the police new pretty quickly that he wasn’t the murderer.

outofbreath
    Free Member

I’m all for hanging Chris Evans

The thread is about *miscarriages* of justice. Hanging Chis Evans wouldn’t meet the criteria.

outofbreath
    Free Member

@Mrc, yeah, Oscar Slater.

I’d be putting the Jury and Rozzers away for life…

edlong
    Free Member
    Garry_Lager

Wrongful conviction of Stefan Kiszko is another massive miscarriage of justice – man does 16 years in Wakefield for murdering an 11yo girl, except he didn’t do it and would have instantly being removed as a suspect had forensic evidence not been suppressed (and had his QC, the current Lord Warrington, been competent).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Lesley_Molseed

Kisko did get released but was basically fked after all of that and died aged 41 a year later.

slowoldman

Jamilia v Peter Andre

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Staggering historic miscarriages of justice – Christie/Evans.’ is closed to new replies.