Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Stages Powermeter Issues – resolved?
  • tpbiker
    Free Member

Anyone bought one recently and is the battery draining issues still a problem. Thinking about getting one for the roadie, but the only thing putting me off is the issues with battery life. Some reports appear that it still isn’t fixed.

tomkerton
    Free Member

The stages product came last in this months Cycling Plus power meter group test, mainly based on accuracy.

tpbiker
    Free Member

Yep I saw that. It got 3 stars, the same as 2 of the other products. Other reviews on bike radar, and dc rainmaker suggest its no less accurate that products costing twice as much however.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    tomkerton
    Free Member

I was surprised as I’m in the market to get a PM and thought Stages was the business but it sounds like there are better options.

eshershore
    Free Member

problems we saw with Stages during my time in workshop at Sigma Sport (roadie shop in Surrey) were mainly related to poor resistance to wet weather, due to a seal on the battery bay, and the battery bay being easily broken because people did not read the instructions and forced the bay when changing the battery

I believe these issues were resolved with some running changes to the design

accuracy was another matter entirely…

carbonfiend
    Free Member

Got 2 one on the road bike an Ultegra & XTR for the 29. Can’t praise em enough TBH, bought the road one in May ridden mainly in the dry but did a century in pissing rain other week no problem what so ever. Used the XTR twice now as bought that other week same again no problem what so ever. Accuracy well I am lucky that have easy access to university sports lab & have used SRM set up on countless ramp tests & the data from there matches the data on Stages PM.

cnud
    Free Member

I’ve got 2 on my mtb’s had one of em about a year or so and although I think they are not really fit for purpose in the fantastic British weather, I just cover the battery cover with duct tape and have had zero issues. Going to get one for the roadie as soon as I can afford one. Waaay better than the power tap they replaced imho. Power meter accuracy has not been an issue for me, but consistency is important and these deliver.

TiRed

As above, i broke two early ones but the latest has run fine for a year. I can’t comment on accuracy, but the overall numbers for average and normalized power compare with my Powercal. It may read high, but is consistent to me, so i can see progress over the past year.

And when i post here, they follow up to check i’m still a happy customer. I am and their service is great!

All power meters are a compromise, i like the stages and the powercal as they suit my needs.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

had one on the MTB since March, still working, still giving out consistent numbers

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Stages Powermeter Issues – resolved?’ is closed to new replies.