Viewing 26 posts - 41 through 66 (of 66 total)
  • Staffordshire Bull Terriers (and closely related breeds)
  • rogerthecat
    Free Member

Been around lots of Staffs while growing up, all soft as the proverbial around us as kids.

Parents then got a Poodle/Lakeland terrier cross that was a proper nasty bit of work, very clever dog but a vicious little sod if it was crossed. Always attacked any big dog within range.

Genuinely believe it’s because parents keep kids away from dogs, scare them, they do the same until we are becoming unfamiliar with them, which is a real shame when you balance the joy they bring if well trained.

Also agree with TJ on the jail time for dog attacks – that or 6 months scooping dog eggs from their neighbourhood with their bare hands as recompense.

MSP

Oh no, an evil staffy is eating a baby, oh the horror!

Junkyard
    Free Member

Staffys can be/are lovely pets, problem is, some of the owners are idiots who shouldn’t be allowed a dog.

THIS

the other problem is if one attacks it will do far more damage than a Jack Russell.
    Whether they are more likely to attack and whether this is down to the morons who own them i dont know nor do I think we could get good stats on it.

I’m quite sure that you’ll agree with me that all children should be banned from bars, restaurants and should be under control (on a lead) in other public spaces.

do they kill many people in these places?

Great with people.
    Shit with squirrels.

What have yo got against Squirrels?

Banning particular breeds is daft law tho – but jailing owners who allow their dogs to bite might do some good?

good point

the problem is we can all see people with dogs and we think we know why they have this breed. How we prevent this is the great problem.

IME smaller dogs – little yappy things are the most likely to bite you .
    never had a problem with a staffy or a rotty but if I did i would expect it to end less well than a situation with a little yappy dog. that is the other problem

dirk_pumpa
    Free Member

MSP thats the sort of carry on that really bewilders sensible people.

truly frightening ignorance.

dirk_pumpa
    Free Member

the don’t ban breeds argument is stupid.

how about don’t ban guns just jail those who use them to shoot others?

dirk_pumpa
    Free Member

gets me wound up this subject, its like banging my head against a brick wall.

legend
    Free Member

dirk_pumpa – Member

MSP thats the sort of carry on that really bewilders sensible people.

truly frightening ignorance.

no it’s not. The g/f’s family have run boarding kennels for over 50 years, it’s not Staffys that they have trouble with

dirk_pumpa
    Free Member

if that baby was to flail its arms and say poke the dog in the eye it has the potential to do severe damage in a short space of time.

why would you put a defenseless child in jeopardy like that, its just mad!

MSP

You are clearly bewildered, but very far from sensible.

butcher

We have a staffy cross. Soft as clarts. He’s away upstairs now to tuck himself in under the duvet…likes his creature comforts.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Oh no, an evil gun is shooting a baby, oh the horror!

😀

schnullelieber
    Free Member

We have a staffy cross. Soft as clarts. He’s away upstairs now to tuck himself in under the duvet…likes his creature comforts.

Yes, but in his dreams he’s ripping your limbs off and munching on your innards.

pingu66
    Free Member

I was tagged as having a “trophy” dog, no such thing. Loads of great comments here. Banning a breed is not necessarily the best idea as those that want to will find other dogs that can be easily trained to be aggressive.

These are the banned dogs in the UK

•Pit Bull Terrier
    •Japanese Tosa
    •Dogo Argentino
    •Fila Braziliero

However I never heard of the last thre attacking someone, probably as they were so rare, hence expensive only a few were owned. Now I am sure a great deal of owners of these banned dogs were responsible. I think if the law were passed today it would include several other breeds given attacks over the last few years.

Owners should be licensed as fit and proper to own a dog as all dogs can be dangerous. Even the best behaved in the wrong circumstances where it may be put in a stressful situation by the owner.

As for staffy in the back garden, yes I agree get the kids to safety and give the owner a bollocking. I am sue your reaction would have been the same had it been any ther type of dog, maybe less so but as some people have mentioned the yappy small dogs tend dto bite more often. Hwever they tend not to be able to inflict the damage of larger more powerful dogs.

Jail owners, definitely agree with TJ. On a sliding scale. it has happened in the past. Introduce a minimjum ae to wn a dog?

Equally someone comented on children not being used to dogs. Many many times have kids come straight over to my dogs to “play” with them, always suggest they should be more careful as not every dog want to play all the time. Then youhave kids that are terrified of dogs which is a shame. Dogs can be a great addition to a family, or a burden if you are inexperienced. Its a very difficult subject and I respect most peoples views on it except the “ban all dogs” which really is a sledge hammer to crack a nut and is an unrealistic expectation.

Applying the existing laws more firmly would go a lng way to solving the issues we currently have.

Junkyard
    Free Member

You are clearly bewildered, but very far from sensible.

Not sure I agree the thing I learnt from having small kids and pets is to never trust the kids to not do something stupid.
    the child could easily poke the dog in the eyes pull its ears etc and you could never be sure of the dogs reaction

anagallis_arvensis

the child could easily poke the dog in the eyes pull its ears etc and you could never be sure of the dogs reaction

I know my dogs reactions, usually she whimpers a bit and looks at me with a slightly puzzled look on her face, or she gets up and moves away.

anagallis_arvensis

can I eat him?

Junkyard
    Free Member

look its your call I have had dogs I would trust completely but i would still not do that just in case, the penalty for error is severe.

its your kid/dog do what you want but there are incidents from people who felt and acted as you do.
    its your risk to decide on and I go for extreme caution.

anagallis_arvensis

do you take your child in a car or cross roads with them? I would expect more kids are killed in bicycle related incidents than dog related incidents.

IanMunro
    Free Member

See the pictures of hounds faithfully protecting kids, reminded me of the Gelert story, so I looked it up on wiki, and came across a link to a faithfull staffie story.

which is now apparently South Africa’s first 3d film (though I think I’ll be taking a pass on it)
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEpuiVvY_2A[/video]

IanW
    Free Member

Yesterday I was rounded on by two massive pitbull types, no idea what breed they were but they were clearly aggresive and clearly capable of hurting me a 16st bloke.

Having survived the encounter my thoughts were I need to arm myself, some kind of knife perhaps.

Thats from a middle age bloke living in a sleepy bit of Suffolk, so not suprising young kids in cities were these animals are common place also decide to take precations.

Seems like an easy situation to rectify.

MSP

So what breed would be best for protecting me from a large bloke armed with a knife?

anagallis_arvensis

Malinois, German Shep, Rottie or Dobie

anagallis_arvensis

IanW out of intrest how did you escape or did they not really attack you?

IanMunro
    Free Member

I’d imagine rye crust for toughness, but a baguette might be better for parrying.

donsimon
    Free Member

Oh no, an evil gun is shooting a baby, oh the horror!

There’s a gun and a baby in the photo? 😳

Junkyard
    Free Member

do you take your child in a car or cross roads with them? I would expect more kids are killed in bicycle related incidents* than dog related incidents.

I suspect child birth kills more children.
    Lets not get silly now. i dont think any breed of dog is a danger per se, i dont think every dog will attack a child its your choice as is crossing a road etc.
    Nothing is 100% safe.

Viewing 26 posts - 41 through 66 (of 66 total)

The topic ‘Staffordshire Bull Terriers (and closely related breeds)’ is closed to new replies.