Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 133 total)
  • Staffordshire Bull Terriers… Great With Kids.
  • Shibboleth
    Free Member

How many more kids need to be killed or maimed by these animals before they are banned??

This time, a 16-month-old baby has been mauled by the family pet – they probably swore blind that it was “great with kids”.

I know, any dog is capable of attacking a child, but if you’ve ever seen one of these dogs in action (I have), you’ll understand that they have no place in society. Dogs bred for fighting are inherently more aggressive, and will clamp on to their prey and rag it until it’s dead.

Yes, dogs like Labs, spaniels etc will snap at kids but they don’t maul them to death. And the argument that it’s the owners fault and not the dog is utter rubbish, responsible dog owners should choose breeds that haven’t been refined over the centuries for killing.

Shoot them all, makes my **** piss boil.

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

Was it definitely a Staffie?

Shibboleth
    Free Member

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    white101

mine is…

and like people, environment can have a major impact on a dog’s character and personality.

pjm84
    Free Member

I have Boxers. They are good with kids.

hora
    Free Member

Some great Staffies as family pets but like ANY dog you CANT leave a dog alone with a small child.

A generalisation but quite true IMO: A Yorkshire Terrier is more likely to bite you/a child. If a Staff was annoyed by a child though the bite could be a whole lot worse.

For the record I’ve been bitten by:
    1 x Corgie
    1 x yorkie
    2 x Westies
    and
    1 x Doberman Pincher.

Coyote
    Free Member

All dogs have the potential to attack.

My friends have just re-homed their “great with kids” spaniel because it bit a friends child.

hora
    Free Member

We rehomed our beloved Westie as it attacked our son twice.

imnotverygood

Wiki is your friend:
    Although individual differences in personality exist, common traits exist throughout the Staffords. Due to its breeding, and history, the Staffordshire Bull Terrier is known for its character of intelligence, fearlessness and loyalty.[4] This, coupled with its affection for its friends, its off-duty quietness and trustworthy stability, make it a foremost all-purpose dog.[5] It has been said that “No breed is more loving with its family”.
    The breed is naturally muscular and may appear intimidating; however, because of their natural fondness for people, most Staffords are temperamentally ill-suited for guard or attack-dog training. Staffordshire Bull Terrier puppies are very easy to house train.

MSP

I seem to recall that the most common breed associated with attacks are Labrador’s and the most common by percentage of dogs owned are collies. Of course that isn’t the story the media want to present.

hora
    Free Member

I’ve witnessed my Doc’s Lab turn and attack (unprovoked) a silverbacked-Staff. The Staff did NOTHING back.

Now I wouldn’t leave a dog (my own/anyones) with my son. I’d have strict rules too.

Far too many variables, the best dogs in the world can suddenly ‘snap’ (illness etc).

scotroutes

I wonder who provided that Wiki information 🙄

imnotverygood

I did Colin

scotroutes

🙂

GolfChick
    Free Member

I’m not going to sit here and say whether I agree or disagree with this debate over whether it’d a dog fault or the owners fault. The only thought I have to add is that probably millions and millions of parents hit and abuse their children everyday and let’s not go into drug and alcohol abused kids and generally kids who have the most foulest of up bringing. Perhaps we should ban certain people from having kids or instantly kill them on sight. At least people have a comprehensive of cause and effect and morals and right and wrong. Perhaps they should be held more accountable than animals who do not gave the same comprehension that we have as humans.

Shibboleth
    Free Member

Can anyone point me in the direction of an article where a child has been mauled to death by a Labrador?

As I said, I’m fully aware that all dogs can snap at people, but it’s one thing having a dog that nips someone’s fingers and a completely different one where the dog clamps on to their throat and rags it until they’re dead.

And let’s take a moment to think about what a ‘mauling’ might look like, what it must feel like to be savaged by an animal like this! It’s horrific, I can assure you.

Yes, Staffies are considered “loyal”. Unfortunately, this trait tends to be a grossly over-simplified anthropomorphisation of its inherent pack mentality, which whilst making your average “Rockport waterskiing” chav feel like king dick, is also the reason they will turn so violently when the mood – or instinct – takes them.

Ro5ey
    Free Member

“For the record I’ve been bitten by:
    1 x Corgie
    1 x yorkie
    2 x Westies
    and
    1 x Doberman Pincher. “

You are a sausage and I claim my £5

spacemonkey

Staffs are known as “the nanny dog” because of their affection/loyalty around kids.

The ones I’ve known personally are absolutely fantastic creatures; love a bit of rough and tumble but know their place too. Having said that, I would never choose to have one as a pet due to already having a little boy. I simply wouldn’t trust it.

As others have said, ANY dog can turn. It’s what they’re capable of when they turn that you need to worry about.

ronjeremy
    Free Member

Removes flameproof suit…

Mine is as soft as a daft thing, that said I would never leave any animal alone with young children unattended, but that is just down to the fact that years ago I worked with animals and know how they can be provoked by people.

Merak

Staffords make good copy, all sorts of dogs attack kids.

Its the owner not the dog thats to blame.

hora
    Free Member

Ro5ey the ‘funny’ thing is all had already bitten me and I’d gone back for more. Fearless and stupid.

philconsequence
    Free Member

neighbours and their new puppy were attacked by an off the lead staffy last week, the puppy required surgery and stapling back together, the lady neighbour required a hospital visit and stitches 🙁

sad because events like this will only further the negative opinion of staffys, whereas every staffy i’ve met out with the dog has been lovely.

Shibboleth
    Free Member

Hora, if the last dog on your list had been a Bull Terrier, you might very well not be typing today!

trailofdestruction
    Free Member

Can anyone point me in the direction of an article where a child has been mauled to death by a Labrador?

Not a child, but still a Labrador.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isabelle_Dinoire

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Lots of staffie type dogs breed for fighting and aggression, or breed from aggressive dogs, so the breed has been a bit corrupted now.

Pitbulls top the list for human deaths I think, but then again humans have breed them for their aggression, so it’s their own fault…

hora
    Free Member

A recent sad story was a family Jack Russell.

A dog’s only master is the male in the house. A very sad fact.

The only exception that I’ve seen is a very strong woman with two Staffs where we used to run bingo that she utterly dominated and controlled.

Shibboleth
    Free Member

Pitbulls top the list for human deaths I think, but then again humans have breed them for their aggression, so it’s their own fault…

What a dumb thing to say. So this 16 month old baby brought this on himself???

uwe-r
    Free Member

Staffs should be rounded up and shot for the sake of children’s faces everywhere. If you need someone to dig the hole and pull the trigger I will do it! I might hit some of the owners to while I’m at it but that risk is worth taking.

I’m obviously not a dog lover but:

A dog’s only master is the male in the house. A very sad fact.

That sounds like complete dog toffee.

dannybee
    Free Member

Never heard so much crap on this forum, The Wiki is pretty much lifted from the Kennel Club site who know about dogs unlike the media were some of you do your research maybe try reading a book?

philconsequence
    Free Member

only male in the house…

rubbish. absolute rubbish.

franksinatra

Not quite killed to death but pretty bad outcome (sorry for the Daily Fail link but seems pretty appropriate considering the suggestion above that they only write about the angry dogs)

As requested

dannybee
    Free Member

Im not suggesting they only wright about Staffs but there the favorite at the moment 90’s were rotweillers (sp?) 70’s ? Doberman?

hora
    Free Member

only male in the house…

rubbish. absolute rubbish.

Unfortuately sex equality hasn’t reached the dog world yet fella.

franksinatra

environment can have a major impact on a dog’s character and personality.

I know I will get flamed for this and no doubt someone will immediately link to something to counter this but, here goes:

You don’t often hear of attacks in nice middle class homes. I’m pretty confident if someone could do good quality analysis of stats, you would see that attacks by dogs are more common per head of population in the lower earning socio economic groups.

The snob in me says perhaps there is a class thing here.

philconsequence
    Free Member

you’ve not met our gun dog trainer hora, she is a fine example of a woman being in complete control of dogs.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I’ve met some who are great with kids and some who you wouldn’t take into a room with people. Some who should have been shot at birth and some complete softies.

I’m talking about people.

Dogs are mostly a product of their owners but also common sense shoulds also prevail.

binners

If you insist on having a staffie or other such mental killing machine in the house with your kids, could you not just keep a fresh supply of bunny rabbits lolloping around the living room, then when it decided to have a psychotic incident it could just rag those around, instead of your childs face?

You’d have to have wooden floors instead of carpets, obviously. But that’d work wouldn’t it?

sbob
    Free Member

dannybee – Member

Im not suggesting they only wright about Staffs but there the favorite at the moment 90’s were rotweillers (sp?) 70’s ? Doberman?

Bingo!
    Shibbers has been sucked in by the flavour of the month.

STOP PRESS!!!
    IMMIGRANT LESBIAN STAFFIE STOLE MY JOB AND GAVE ME CANCER WITH ITS MUSLAMIC RAY GUN.

scotroutes

I don’t think you’ve thought this through…..
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcxKIJTb3Hg[/video]

franksinatra

could you not just keep a fresh supply of bunny rabbits lolloping around the living room

Our rabbit scratched my 3 year old last night. You don’t see that being reported in the Daily Mail do you? Burn it to death!!!!!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 133 total)

The topic ‘Staffordshire Bull Terriers… Great With Kids.’ is closed to new replies.