Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • ST4 alternatives?
  • dirtbiker100
    Free Member

Got an inbred 456 with 130 revelations but thinking about getting a full sus frame for xc duties (also have a marin quake but thats used more for dh/fr).
    What 2nd hand frames can I find out there for maybe £400 that give the “whoosh” as matt_outandabout put it and a decent climbing ability. 5″ is plenty enough.
    basically I want an st4 but cheaper… about 1/4 of the price cheap.

jam-bo

older five’s seem to go for about that mark these days.

or a meta4/5 as the st4 seems to have ripped off the commencal design…

dirtbiker100
    Free Member

those were high up on the list. not heard much about the meta 4’s. only hear all the praise on the meta 5’s
    what can the trance handle?
    i’m not that friendly on bits and this frame could find its self heading down a 4x track…

jam-bo

i ride my five everywhere from the DH track to the BMX track. stuck a coil shock in it and its a perfect little playbike that’ll knock out the miles too.

i’ve also seen rowan sorrel on his and it can cope with pretty much anything…

MrCrushrider
    Free Member

some of the Cube bikes are lovely – on CRC

matt_outandabout

Trance or Meta 4/5

druidh
    Free Member

The Meta 4 doesn’t really seem to offer any advantage over the Meta 5 as the frame is almost identical. So – less travel little weight saving. You might find a Meta 4 cheaper as it’s generally less “desireable” on account of the above. However, if you fancy that design, have a look at the 2008 Commencal Combi S. Same frame as the Meta 4, but cheaper finishing kit. If you could find a frame somewhere, you’d have a real bargain.

chakaping
    Free Member

The Trance (2008-onwards) should be lighter than Meta.

It’s probably a bit shorter in the top tube than the ST4, so perhaps more ‘trail’ than ‘XC’.

A complete secondhand Trance 3 should be £500 or less (I paid £450), the Float R shock is perfectly adequate with the Maestro suspension system.

I’ve built mine up very light with carbon bits and Roval wheels, it’s a very versatile bike.

MrNutt
    Free Member

what MrCrushrider said

dirtbiker100
    Free Member

you got a complete trance for £450?
    seems like I’m gonna have to find an 08 trance/meta/5 from somewhere! thanks for the help guys.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘ST4 alternatives?’ is closed to new replies.