Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • St Leonard's Forest. Any good ?
  • TheSlider
    Free Member

Anyone tried it recently ? Are there some good trails to make it worth a trip ?

fisherboy
    Free Member

Haven’t been there for a while. There used to be a few bits but not enough to make it a destination in itself. Best as a link up with Tilgate.

TheSlider
    Free Member

Ah! Cheers mate for that. Haven’t been to Tilgate for some years too and that was pretty good then.

ade9933
    Free Member

if you are talking about Tilgate near Horsham, they are all closed now I think.

riddoch

The trails are still there just no longer official, some of the signage is still there. There has also been a bit of logging so some of them have been disrupted.

TheSlider
    Free Member

A few years back I know they were hacking down some trees and messing up some great single track but I was hoping that everything was back. Sadly, another one bites the dust…..

markoc1984

I would also be interested in finding out which trails are worth riding there as it’s only a few miles to ride there from my house, will be closer in a few weeks when I move.

Went round there a few times last summer and tried to find some of the segments I saw on Stravva but couldn’t find many of them. Unfortunately the weather got in the way and the last time I tried going to the forest and it had turned into a clay quagmire. Tried again last weekend but it was still pretty boggy so stuck to the main routes. Blasting down Micks Mile is good fun though.

MarcSussex
    Free Member

There is a couple of hours worth of riding in St Leonards, if you know your way around. There has been plenty of pixie work over this last winter, with 3/4/5 new trails.

Still quite muddy at the moment, ground conditions do suffer, best after a long dry spell.

I wouldn’t say it was worth a long drive to ride there, but if you are localish it’s a good place for a summer weekend/evening ride. Not much in the way of elevation.

Tilgate is rideable, all the XC stuff is unaffected by the closure of ‘ride Tilgate’ and some of those trails are still rideable, just not signed/marked any more. Still plenty to ride there, again it’s a case of knowing your way around and it has similar ground conditions, although slightly better than St Leonards.

If anyone needs some pointers let me know.

markoc1984

@ Marc Sussex – I would really appreciate some pointers on which sections are best to ride in St Leonards and also the best routes around Tilgate. These are both easily accessible for me and can be useful for a quick ride without having to go too far in the car to reach the South Downs or Surrey Hills.

MarcSussex
    Free Member

@ markoc1984 – have (hopefully) sent you an e-mail. If nothing received, e-mail is on my profile.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘St Leonard's Forest. Any good ?’ is closed to new replies.