Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • St George
  • steve-g
    Free Member

It’s St Georges day, apparently it’s also the day Shakespeare was born (there or thereabouts) and died.

I for one will be using it as an excuse for a quick beer in the sun at lunchtime, what are we all doing to celebrate?

Pook

going for a quick beer tonight after a cricket nets session

Jamie
    Free Member

I am going to be wondering why we are not having a bank holiday today, then realising i have a day off go out on my bike in 20 mins instead 🙂

wors

i shall be out for a ride later followed by a few pints!!

mrsflash
    Free Member

I am sporting bright red toenails 🙂

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Ooh! How exciting!

Are we allowed to kick a Scottish person or something, today?

As St George was from what is now part of Turkey, I think it’s only fitting, that any celebratory feast should contain food from that region.

So, beer and kebabs all round, then! Woohoo!

Can we have a St Georges day every week?

Jamie
    Free Member

RudeBoy:

As St George was from what is now part of Turkey, I think it’s only fitting, that any celebratory feast should contain food from that region.

So, beer and kebabs all round, then! Woohoo!

Can we have a St Georges day every week?

Going off that i think i do…sometimes twice in a week.

duckman

Come and try if you think you are hard enough rudeboy!

RudeBoy
    Free Member

I’m only joking. I woon’t really kick a Scottish person. They’ve got enough problems as it is!

Actually, I think having Turkish food would be quite apt. I have a load of peppers in, I may get some minced lamb and Haloumi cheese, and do some stuffed peppers. Bit of rice, and I also have some vine leaves in, which I could also stuff…

Hmm.

ziggy
    Free Member

All I know is that one poor lad thought he would come to school dressed as a dragon, all of the other boys went to school as knights, that’s one dragon that’s going to be slayed alot today 🙂

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Seems that all the scaffold companies in London are doing an unofficial procession of their lorries covered in George Crosses and people dancing around on the back of them.

Excellent

Harry_the_Spider

mrsflash – Member
    I am sporting bright red toenails

So am I, but it is Thursday.

grizzlygus
    Free Member

St George was from what is now part of Turkey

I don’t believe that for a minute ……… how many Turkish geezers have you met called ‘George’ ? ffs 😯

coolhandluke
    Free Member

I have a chav St George flag on my car window and drove with pride as I like England and am proud I’m English.

porterclough
    Free Member

Rudeboy, St Patrick was from what is now called Wales but it doesn’t stop the Irish celebrating International Guinness Marketing Day.

epicyclo

Typical English! celebrating an act of environmental despoliation by a toff in a tin suit.

That was the last dragon.

The Welsh should never forgive him.

bruneep

The problem with St George is :

He was born in ,what is now, Turkey

Lived in Palestine

Become a Roman Soldier

He is also the Patron Saint of : Portugal, Georgia,Catalonia ,Palestine , Istanbul , Moscow and Germany

He has also been made the Saint of the Plague and Syphillis

Nobody knows what he actaully did to become a Saint ( hardly any information on him unlike other saints )

He never set foot in England

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Er, George refused to renounce his Christian Faith & was therefore killed by Roman Officialdom.

His Cross represents his blood flowing between the white limestone paving at the site of his execution.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘St George’ is closed to new replies.