Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • St David's day
  • Pigface
    Free Member

Happy St David’s day to all, have a great day.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Indeed Happy Day. Leek soup, some rarebit and a pint of Brains to celebrate

dday

Yay, username relevant! 8)

kayak23

Oyt in barod y mindd?(sp)-Are you ready to go yet?

My only line of Welsh I learned from my Welsh girlfriend of years past.

Big up the St David’s massive.

Ambrose

Dydd Dewi Hapus pawb. 🙂

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

zippykona

If you have a baby today , name him Dave.
    We are a dying breed.

SaxonRider

Happy St David’s Day indeed!

My kids are all dressed in their Wales rugby kit. As it should be. 🙂

P-Jay
    Free Member

Yes Happy St. David’s Day, also first day of Spring by at least one measure.

I celebrated both in the most Welsh way possible, getting stuck in a jam on the A470 in a rain storm.

Cougar

Thought this was cool…

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/huge-dragon-just-appeared-banks-10967491

An enormous dragon has just appeared on the banks of a Welsh castle.

The dragon, which is four metres long, has reptile-like black and red scales, smoke-flaring nostrils, and an outreached claw.

SaxonRider

Thought this was cool…

Just saw that in the paper. It looks fantastic! I will certainly take a ride up to Caerphilly to see it.

I don’t know how many people on here will have seen something similar at Cardiff Castle, but this is what they did to celebrate the rugby World Cup:

fasthaggis

Hapus Dydd G?yl Dewi i chi bobl hyfryd.

molgrips
    Free Member

My wife was up late last night hand making a costume based on genuine historical research…..

fasthaggis

molgrips
    Free Member

I found the history of those costumes quite interesting. Back in Victorian times Wales was still a remote land for urbane Londoners who thought the rustic ways quaint. So in publicising this for tourists they brought people to London to show them off, and they were wearing normal old fashioned country clothes that people wore across Europe. The Londoners had no idea and thought this was a traditional Welsh thing.

If that happened now the national dress would be a blue boiler suit and wellies.

mamadirt
    Free Member

Diolch! 😀

Dydd G?yl Dewi Hapus i chi hefyd!

molgrips
    Free Member

Don’t seem to be able to share flickr photos from phone but I have a pic exactly like that.

mamadirt
    Free Member

Are you in my kitchen Molgrips? 😯

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Happy St David’s Day everyone.

So, is that photo up there not actually traditional Welsh (as in distinctly) costume then? I never knew that, every day a school day etc.

bearnecessities

Welsh lass at work brought some of those squashed scones into work today – they were very nice. I’m taking in some home-made jam tomorrow to add some moisture, which I guess they’ll need after a day in the tin.

Lovely things though – these had a touch of nutmeg in. Don’t know if that’s a standard ingredient, but it really worked.

molgrips
    Free Member

Some folk on the internet saying nutmeg is traditional. It’s bloody nice though whatever it is.

copa
    Free Member

Some optimistic Welsh miserablism for St David’s Day. This is Datblygu, the song was later covered by Super Furry Animals on Mwng album.

[video]https://youtu.be/zYXU1PF8dOI[/video]

Pigface
    Free Member

[video]http://youtu.be/gVWLrloeToA[/video]

midlifecrashes

Got this covered.

Nipper99
    Free Member

Under Milk Wood BBC2 now.

santacoops
    Free Member

nipper, are you seeing something different to me?

what i mean is, theres nothing welsh on the bbc… again!

tillydog
    Free Member

…they were wearing normal old fashioned country clothes that people wore across Europe. The Londoners had no idea and thought this was a traditional Welsh thing.

Seems the French didn’t know about it either:

When they tried to invade Britain in 1797“The heroine of the hour was Jemima Nicholas, who, with her pitchfork, went out single-handedly into the fields around Fishguard and rounded up 12 French soldiers and ‘persuaded’ them to return with her to town where she locked them inside St. Mary’s Church. It is thought the French troops may have mistaken local women like her, in their traditional tall black hats and red cloaks, for British Grenadiers when they stood on the cliffs above the British force lined up on Goodwick Sands at the surrender. The story sounds legendary and improbable but a written version of it was in existence as early as 25 February, the day after the surrender, and so the story may contain an element of truth.”

If that happened now the national dress would be a blue boiler suit and wellies.

And baler twine – don’t forget the baler twine.

Dydd g?yl Dewi Sant hapus i pawb! 🙂

iolo
    Free Member

Dydd gwyl dewi hapus. Dylsa fo fod yn wylia i bawb gal mynd am reid a peint bach.

mrsfry
    Free Member

Do you legally have to buy a drink for everyone called Dave or David till midnight or have i been conned 🙁

Nipper99
    Free Member

BBC2 Wales – I’m not normally a fan of UMW on TV or film but that was excellent.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Under Milk Wood BBC2 now.

To begin at the beginning….

This was always a favourite of mine in childhood,

It was on the afternoon of the day of Christmas Eve, and I was in Mrs. Prothero’s garden, waiting for cats, with her son Jim. It was snowing. It was always snowing at Christmas. December, in my memory, is white as Lapland, although there were no reindeers. But there were cats. Patient, cold and callous, our hands wrapped in socks, we waited to snowball the cats. Sleek and long as jaguars and horrible-whiskered, spitting and snarling, they would slide and sidle over the white back-garden walls, and the lynx-eyed hunters, Jim and I, fur-capped and moccasined trappers from Hudson Bay, off Mumbles Road, would hurl our deadly snowballs at the green of their eyes.

Reading it to my children at Christmas, tears rolled own my cheek as I thought of my sadly late grandfather, in The Mumbles, telling stories to his eldest son. My father.

Nos da.

Ambrose

Back home from another stupendous Eisteddfod in school that makes me so proud of the pupils I teach. Leeks and daffodils ahoy! Cawl, so much cawl at lunchtime- mmmm.

Mae hen wlad fy nhadau yn annwyl i mi….

So stirring. And then this kicks in…

Gwlad, gwlad, pleidiol wyf i’m gwlad…

I was born in Jamaica, brought up in England and have called Wales my home for over thirty years. What a place it is- but I really need to get to grips with the language.

Nos da pawb!

And @ Flashy- yup, bluddy brilunt innit? Get yourself down to Clyne ASAP, you may well be surprised. There is some serious riding to be had there nowadays.

http://www.clyneriders.co.uk/ Bendigedig 🙂

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘St David's day’ is closed to new replies.