Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • St Albans recomendations
  • thomthumb
    Free Member

Going on an adventure round the m25 tomorrow (m3 – a12) and we have decided on st. albans for lunch and a stop off.

Just looking for a steer in terms of a touristy activity/ somewhere to aim for and a lunch venue.

alcolepone
    Free Member

been a long time since i’ve been there but the pub at the bottom of the park by the cathedral would get my vote, (if its still there). it should be, claims to be the oldest pub in britain. 😀

twisty

If the weather is nice then you can buy a sandwich in the deli next to the clocktower then take alleyway through to the cathedeal and eat the sandwich in a nice spot in the cathedral grounds.

twisty

Oh and the old pub is ye olde fighting cox. Can park in swimming pool car park and then walk there past the duck pond.

hatter

The pub in question is Ye Olde Fighting Cocks and it was my local for a while, very nice place and the area around it with the Park, Cathedral etc is well worth a potter.

One thing to note, you’re unlikely to be able to Park by the pub but if the weather’s nice I’d recommend parking at the Westminster lodge sports centre and walking to it through the park.

There’s also the Waffle House if you fancy lunching with the yummy mummies. They have parking as well.

benp1

Cathedral is one of the main draws in St Albans. Some Roman Baths in Welwyn just up the road too

Lots of nice places to eat, it’s quite an affluent place

tallmart10

Ye Olde Fighting Cocks and the Goat were my locals (can you have 2 locals?) for a while too in the 1990s. The town centre is pretty nice to be honest and as hatter says, a trip to the cathedral and around the park and Verulamium is good. If you have kids the water splash area in the park is great fun (if a bit packed) if they have swim costumes with them. There is a tea shop in the park but is a bit ‘spensive.
    Parking is the main issue in Summer.

hatter

Yeah the ‘Inn on the Park’ is the tea shop but it’s not all that, better go to the Waffle House or the Fighting Cocks.

Or go up the hill past the Cathedral and into town and you’ll be spoilt for choice.

If you like Pizza then L’italiana on French Row is a great spot for a reasonably priced decent lunch.

If you have nippers with you and you fancy having them on a massive sugar rush for the next 3 hours then the Shaken Cow milkshake bar does some fascinating offerings.

So yeah, plenty of options.

MoreCashThanDash

Cathedral was quite impressive when we stopped there last year.

twisty

Ye Olde Fighting Cocks and the Goat were my locals (can you have 2 locals?) for a while too in the 1990s.

My metal detector is going off.

paulneenan76
    Free Member

Pea hen pub used to be great. Great garden. The Snug is also nice. Neither of these places may still be open/or changed; been couple years since last visited.

thomthumb
    Free Member

Thanks all. I’ll report back.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘St Albans recomendations’ is closed to new replies.