Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 73 total)
  • SSUK – Lonely Hearts Club
  • miketually
    Free Member

Are you a singlespeed Billy No Mates, like me?

Should we arrange a meet-up?

postierich
    Free Member

If you still have the beard I might be a mate for a day!

stumpynya12
    Free Member

Yep, at SSUK09, just to avoid you getting mixed up, i will be the bloke in a pink frock and strappy heels on a single speed bike. Errr that should narrow things down to about 20 of us then.

ton

mike, look out for me, i am quite noticable… 8)

miketually
    Free Member

If you still have the beard I might be a mate for a day!

The beard got trimmed down on Tuesday night, for an interview yesterday, but I’ll be leaving it till SSUK now.

Yep, at SSUK09, just to avoid you getting mixed up, i will be the bloke in a pink frock and strappy heels on a single speed bike. Errr that should narrow things down to about 20 of us then.

I’ll be the guy with a beard riding an Inbred. There won’t be many, I’m sure.

mike, look out for me, i am quite noticable

Will do ton, cheers. Big white transit?

father
    Free Member

I’m the fat old guy with the tall son!

funkynick

I’ll be all on my todd after everyone else who was supposed to be going (you know who you are) are washing their hair that weekend, so was going to reply to this thread…

But having seen some of the replies I am now not so sure… 😯

miketually
    Free Member

But having seen some of the replies I am now not so sure…

You weren’t expecting deviants at SSUK? 🙂

funkynick

Oh… I was expecting deviants, I was at SSUK ’06 after all, just not that kind! 😉

singlespeedstu

Mike you’re welcome to meet up with The Knights of Niche if you want.

miketually
    Free Member

Mike you’re welcome to meet up with The Knights of Niche if you want.

I’ll be on a kiddie wheel bike. Will I be niche enough? 🙂

tommid
    Free Member

Is any one else up on the Friday and if so where are you staying?

Miketually- I realised the iother day that we rode SSUK06 together or should I say we walked the first hill together. I have lost a bit of weight since then thank god.

Funky Nick rode with us…

So I will look forward to seeing you guys there. A small group of us are coming from Cambridge, but it may be at different times so I may be a billy for a night.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

ton: mike, look out for me, i am quite noticable

particularly when he sits on your knee…

BigDummy
    Free Member

Mike, you have a perfect niche-steed. Why are you not riding it? 😀

ski
    Free Member

tommid – our scrumpers of three are planning to make a long weekend of it, no camp site booked yet!

We were thinking of trying to make up a offroad route to the coast for a few errr refreshments 😉

[any locals that could help up plan a route, much appreciated]

miketually
    Free Member

Miketually- I realised the iother day that we rode SSUK06 together or should I say we walked the first hill together. I have lost a bit of weight since then thank god

I’ve got much more singlespeedy since then – I can ride that hill now, then wait for my brother on his big bike:

miketually
    Free Member

Mike, you have a perfect niche-steed. Why are you not riding it?

The Solitude is ace, but the 29er tyres I got for it are just too big for V brakes when used on narrow rims. I get a little while out of the pads, then the arms catch on the side of the tyre. There’re nice grooves in the brake arms now. Some wider rims would fix it, but I can’t really justify the cash when I have another bike. The thinner tyres are going back on and I’m going back to using it as a monstercross, which is what it’s really meant for.

miketually
    Free Member

We were thinking of trying to make up a offroad route to the coast for a few errr refreshments

Is that not the plan for the ‘official’ Saturday ride out?

Aidan
    Free Member

I’m going up there on my tod 🙁

Hopefully, it’ll be a friendly niche to hang out in. Weirdly, like funkynick, I haven’t been since 06.

miketually
    Free Member

Hopefully, it’ll be a friendly niche to hang out in. Weirdly, like funkynick, I haven’t been since 06

I was there in 06 and 07. Felt a bit swamped by non-SS at 07, but had fun despite breaking my bike on lap 1; hoping this is like 06.

Andy

Another nomates here. First timer as well – cant wait though, as it sounds like it will be a hoot!! i’ll be riding an On One Volvo Biscuit Biege colour.

Will be there friday so would be keen to hook up with some STWers.

pink frock and strappy heels

*starts thinking about outfit…..*

singlespeedstu

The Solitude is ace, but the 29er tyres I got for it are just too big for V brakes when used on narrow rims. I get a little while out of the pads, then the arms catch on the side of the tyre.

Try putting an extra spacer between the brake block and the brake arm.
    Or I can give you a pair of tyres that’re a bit narrower if you want.

BTW I think your cargo bike might make you too niche for us guys. 😉

funkynick

Can we have a Solitude owners meet too? :o)

Tommid… I apologise now at being crap with names and faces so say hello when you see me.. 😳

sheldona
    Free Member

Stu was your mouth out! “too niche” WTF, take a thousand lashes from the nichestick!

Anyway bikes with more tubes than they need is the new niche! You should know this you ride a Jones, that’s got enough tubing for a cargobike, they just forgot to stretch it.

singlespeedstu

Sheldon.

shouldn’t you be working? 😉

D0NK

I shall be there and yes I’m a B.N.M.SSer, no beard tho. My first time at an ssuk and only the second race event I’ve entered (HTN was my first) looking forward to it.

Felt a bit swamped by non-SS at 07

was everyone on geared bikes? Had you got lost and ended up at the wrong race? 🙂

miketually
    Free Member

was everyone on geared bikes? Had you got lost and ended up at the wrong race?

It was part of Bristol Bike Fest, so lots of non-SSers at a huge event. MAde it harder to locate the weirdos.

marsdenman
    Free Member

erm…… looking a the Forestry.gov website (to locate Dalby.. may come have a look see…) I note, with concern, that the only event they list for June is ‘Badger Watching’………

is a badger the new name for the niche-est of niche products…….. or just a facial hair reference….. 😆

sheldona
    Free Member

Sheldon.

shouldn’t you be working? [:wink:]
    No I’ve been flying back today!

tommid
    Free Member

I’m Tom second in the line behing tiLover Tom. I think Funky Nick is behind me and Miketually behind Nick.

miketually
    Free Member

I’m Tom second in the line behing tiLover Tom. I think Funky Nick is behind me and Miketually behind Nick.

Yes, that’s me in fourth place – red helmet, blue shorts. Embarrassingly, I’ll possibly be wearing the same shorts next month, three years later.

miketually
    Free Member

Ok, so my plan is to look for ton and his bog white van and head toward that. Are other SSUK Billys going to do the same? Ton’s probably the biggest single feature on the race site, so seems like a good target 😉

Ed-O
    Free Member

We can have a long bike love in Mike 🙂

clubber
    Free Member

it was easy to id the ssers in 07. They were the ones trying really hard to be wacky and crazy. 😉
    Great event but seriously there really is a bit of a lame undercurrent of “look at me, i really am different” rather than just enjoying the silliness of it all.

miketually
    Free Member

We can have a long bike love in Mike

She’s going to be staying at home – don’t think a 65 mile ride home starting after the 6pm prize-giving is going to work, so I’m on the train.

bakey

I’m on my own too…my first SSUK

funkynick

Aaaaaah.. gotcha… and yes, that is me just behind you, but it took me a while to work out what the hell I was wearing as I don’t have any red tops with white cuffs… then I remembered it was the bandage I had on after my slight Dyfi excursion…

And this is really spooky, but that pic shows my race number as 37 back in ’06 and I’ve just checked, I’m number 37 again on the ’09 list on the website…

I’m kinda freaked out by that… especially as that’s how old I am…

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

funkynick

bakey… just join in, everyone is kinda weird, but in a good way.. 😀

epicyclo

clubber – Member
    it was easy to id the ssers in 07. They were the ones trying really hard to be wacky and crazy…

Must have been a different event to the one I attended. The wacky ones were all those deadly serious geared riders – bikes are supposed to be fun.

My main impression though was loads of nice people.

colnagokid

Would have been a Billy, but a busted shoulder has put paid to my SSUK debut (and SS debut) Was looking forward to it too….

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 73 total)

The topic ‘SSUK – Lonely Hearts Club’ is closed to new replies.