Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • SS wheel shift problems
  • wobbliscott
    Free Member

I’m struggling to keep my rear wheel in place on my SS Roadrat. The non drive side of the hub spindle pushes out rearwards under heavy rear braking (disks fitted), and when really grunting up a hill out of the saddle it slides forward in the dropout. I really need a two way chain tug. The rear hub is a cassette hub with spacers so a QR spindle. With quick release installed I simply can’t get enough clamping force on to stop it from shifting. I’ve replaced the QR spindle with an Allen key one, but it is still not man enough. What options do I have before I re-hub with a prober bolted spindles hub? Cheers.

julianwilson
    Free Member

You can get a chain tug that cups the axle not the qr spindle which helps with the drive side forward, but afaik there is no chain tug that pulls the non drive side forward or stops it from beinf spat out the back by braking forces. (this is why the disc mount is inside the rear triangle on the inbred btw) last thing I would try before new hub time is looking at the surfaces of the locknuts, inside and outside of dropouts and the allen key skewer. Old crap bikes with hub gears used to have these jagged washers to help keep a good grip on the dropout iirc.
    However, if it is a shimano or other cup’n’cone hub then replacing with a bolted on axle is easy and cheap.

Olly
    Free Member

Lucky for you ive been looking at tugs recently!
    there IS a tug which stops movement in both directions!

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=20322

these would require you to drill two SMALL holes in the tips of the ends to allow the pins to drop into, but it should work as far as i can see.

man up and get yopur drill out! 😉

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Thanks, wondered if there was something like that. The powder coat finish is perfect, but I wonder if it is just too slippery for QR type skewers to get good purchase on. I noted that the new Roadrat frame now places the rear brake caliper inside the rear triangle too.

righog
    Free Member

The only satisfactory results I got were with a bolted axle.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Olly, thanks, I had spotted those, I need to measure up but it looks like the Roadrat dropouts are too slim and the location of the holes might be too close to the lug edge, or even the holes might want to be in fresh air!

funkynick

I’ve got one of the original Road Rat frames and commuted on it for a year or so and never had a problem with the axle slipping… but then I do use a drive side chain tug. Have you tried a drive side chain tug?

I wonder if it’s to do with the drive side forces effectively loosening the QR slightly which then allows the non-drive side to slip under braking.

Also, I only ever used the Tektro brakes on drops, so maybe there is just less braking force from them?

wobbliscott
    Free Member

It’s got a drive side tug, so drive side is well fixed. It’s the non drive side. I think I’ll put a tug on the non drive side and look for the grippy washers and see if that does it – unless I can get the ASP tugs to work.

funkynick

Maybe you are just braking too much… ;o)

I did wonder if I had some amazing QR on the bike, but have just checked as it’s still get the same ones it was supplied with… so those with the removable lever.

Would a cable tie work as something to try? Just tie it around the frame and the end of the QR?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘SS wheel shift problems’ is closed to new replies.