Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • ss tensioner options?
  • barzy38
    Free Member

I really love my ss hardtail but have had endless probs with tensioners. The only one I’ve found to work is dmr’s tension seeker 2. However, the tension is now going in that spring and chain now slips under climbing load. No more adjustments to help, but ultimately they’re a bit of a faff/noisy/etc. Have contacted dmr about new spring.
    Looking into getting slot dropouts welded-on, but other than that, or obviously a new frame, anyone have any other options? I was considering modifying a chain guide or looking at Bionicon guides…

MrTall
    Free Member

Surly Singleator is the stock answer usually. I used to run one in the pushing up position and it was faultless. Pushing down resulted in lots of chainslip under load though.

nedrapier

I’m guessing you have discs, in which case the well-respected ENO eccentric hub is out.

There are also bottom brackets to fit standard shells and Hollowtech type cranks which have a degree of adjustment through an eccentric thingummy

Bikemonger Charlie used to sell the exzentriker BB, but apparently the first few he sold didn’t go so well. There’s also the Phil Woods Philcentric, which is probably quite good. Neither have a lot of adjustment, and it may be that you have to use a half link to get perfect tension.

Both a good slice pricier than chain tensioners.

ssboggy

I’ll second the Surley Singleator, just so happens i have one for sale 😀 as my singlespeed has excentic bb now. (see classifieds for ad)

dufresneorama
    Free Member

Stick a half link chain on, or buy a half link for your existing chain. Worked fine for me as I couldn’t be bothered with the faff and noise of a tensioner any more.

Chain was tight at first, now slackened up a bit.

fuzzhead
    Free Member

i use an on-one doofer. Faultless

Andy-R

A half link won’t obviate the need for some method of correctly tensioning the chain. You might get lucky and it be just about perfect (until the chain wears a bit) or there again you might not.
    The best type of add-on tensioners are probably the non-sprung ones. Gusset Bachelor or something like that.

barzy38
    Free Member

thanks for replies
    tried half link but not quite there; had it work on another frame though
    tried non-sprung like bachelor, but kept slipping
    singleator seems to be a more basic version of tensionseeker
    I have a superstar 1xchainguide that I will try and modify I think. I just can’t believe I have tension probs and everyone else seems happy!
    My gearings an easy 33/20 aswell

fuzzhead
    Free Member

I had no success with unsprung tesnioners – the on-one sprung version was the best/most reliable

wwaswas

Look at Rohloff tensioners.

Bit more derailleur like than the standard ones but bomb proof.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I used the on-one sprung tensioner, never had a chain slip, running 34-17*, enjoy bouncing on the pedals untill there’s no option, a bit of a fatty and maintenance shy, if anyone was going to make a chain slip, it’s me.

*3/32 KMCchain and SS specific stainless chainring and groove armada sporckets might help too.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

I had some track dropouts fitted to an old Kona frame, cost around £160 all in, they also removed all the gear tabs and gave it a respray.

It was great in once sense, But in reality I should have just bought an inbred.

The best tensioners i’ve used are pauls melvin or a rohloff one, pricey but worth it.

Burchy1
    Free Member

If you’ve got iscg mounts try using something like a blackspire stinger to tension the chain there. This way it allows for full wrap of the cog on the rear.

Been running mine this way for 18 months with no slippage.

kayak23

Do it from the front not the back.
    I used to use a DMR lower guide wheel mounted on the iscg tabs. You rotate it up into the chain and tighten it up through the chainwheel gaps…
    Does it a treat and also helps chain security and also look better than those horrible rear-mount things.

Edit – Just like above 🙂

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘ss tensioner options?’ is closed to new replies.