Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • SS tech 4 wheels, tubeless ready? Really?
  • mark_rich
    Free Member

Just bought a set if tech 4’s with the ds25 rims, they state on the website tubeless ready, however when they arrived they have a rubber type rim strip fitted which I can lift up and see the holes in the rim, surely this can’t be a tubeless tape like stans etc which is stuck down can it?
    I’ve put tubes in at the moment so I don’t waste a load of sealant.

deviant
    Free Member

Do the tyres seal without lifting up the rubber strip?…seems pointless having a moan until you’ve tried to inflate a tubeless tyre on it first!

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

‘Tubeless ready’ does not equal ‘tubeless prepared’.

cp

That’ll just be bog standard rim strip I imagine. To use it tubeless, you’ll need to tape it with stans yellow or similar. I just use some cheap web reinforced tape from eBay.

Edit – or superstars own yellow tape

Rorschach
    Free Member

You don’t get a tubeless valve or a tyre either.What’s your point?

mark_rich
    Free Member

Not tried inflating a tyre on it tubeless yet, just wondered if anyone had any experience of it, I’m not moaning!
    I’m guessing it’s not the right tape as superstar sell a yellow tape for tubeless set ups and it’s not what’s on the rim.
    So what’s the difference between tubeless ready and tubeless prepared then ??
    If it’s not the right rim tape then I’d say their neither!! No more ready than any other wheel.

wwaswas

It’s about the rim bead design – means you don’t have to use the rubber strips Withnell valve built in that that cover the bead.

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

Tubeless ready = a rim that has been designed to run with tyres designed to run tubeless.

Tubeless prepared = the same rim fitted with appropriate tape and a valve. Jizz on standby.

mark_rich
    Free Member

Yes I can agree with Mostly Balanced on that description.
    So the tech 4’s are certainly not tubeless ready as described as the rims have holes in them.
    And probably not even tubeless prepared unless the rubber rim tape is somewhat better than it appears, I don’t hold out much hope for it.

chakaping
    Free Member

You need to add two wraps of the right width rim tape and a valve to each rim. I have the same rims – they work great tubeless.

Don’t try it with the supplied rim strip whatever you do!

thegreatape
    Free Member

You’ve misunderstood what ‘tubeless ready’ means.

wwaswas

Tech 4’s are tubeless ready based on most people understanding of the term.

dobo
    Free Member

superstar cant be blamed for the tubeless ready terminology, they didnt invent it. but i can see how the terminology could be misinterpreted.
    just like any other tubeless ready rim you need tape and a valve.

leftyboy
    Free Member

@chakaping what width tape does it need? I have some Stans yellow which I think is 25mm so hoping that’s wide enough? If not can I use it and wrap additional layers of electrical tape?

Rubber_Buccaneer

If it covers the spoke holes its wide enough. Anything else is just padding that may or may not make seating a tyre easier and you can use any tape for that.

nairnster
    Free Member

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘SS tech 4 wheels, tubeless ready? Really?’ is closed to new replies.