Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • SS specific rear hub
  • frankconway

I have an Indy Fab SS specific frame – steel deluxe 29er – and matching rigid fork; can’t run a mech hangar. Complete rebuild planned so recommendations – and reasons – please for which SS specific rear hub I should consider.

ontor
    Free Member

Hope trials, XC or Chris king are traditionally specced on such a frame I believe

Duffer
    Free Member

[Recommend what you have]

The Hope trials hub is lovely, robust, and easy to get spares for. As long as you can stand the noise.

It is also available in red.

[/Recommend what you have]

bm0p700f
    Free Member

Dt swiss do a single speed 240 hub, white industries do the eno hub for onespeed freewheels and surely do a one speed freewheel hub too.

Personally i would go with a freewheel hub a white industries freewheel and then use a square taper chainset with a royce bb which have adjustable cups so you can fine tune the chainline.

Daffy

Chris King – faster engagement than Hope, quieter than Hope, prettier than Hope, more robust than Hope, 4x the price of Hope…well, you can’t have everything.

Industry 9 – similar to the above for all except robustness. They do last, but need parts to keep them fresh just like Hope.

2tyred

I have a couple of wheels built with the Hope trials hub and a couple with the Stans 3.30SS one. Both nice, both make a good noise, both have the mini cassette freehub, which gives you the ability to get the chainline right by moving the cog in- or outwards, neither require that much maintenance. The Stans one is good bit lighter than the Hope though.

For an Indy Fab frame though, I’d not be looking beyond Chris King or industry9.

frankconway

I’ll be running Phil Wood EBB, Middleburn Uno chainring & their square taper cranks with White Industries freewheel so the drivetrain is – sort of – sorted and the chainline shouldn’t be a problem.
    Between Middleburn going pop and then being resurrected by BETD I went a bit mad and now have three Middleburn Uno chainrings – but none bought from expoititave SJS with their rip-off prices – so I’m a little overstocked……..
    Anyway, further comments and suggestions welcome.

@Daffy; you sold white industries 18t recently so i’m, sort of, assuming you’re into SS. Any insights you want to share about the SS world?
    I share your views about Hope v King; I run Hopes on a CX and….they’re noisy.

I have DT Swiss internals in Citec branded hubs on road bike – super smooth and stealth silent but not sure I would wish to cane them offroad.

To be continued – hopefully………….

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I like Hope. I’ve had them on most of my bikes at some point or other. Only ever broken one shell which was quickly relpaced.

They’re noisy, but its one you get used to so its not intrusive, like tyre noise. And it encourages pedaling!

boltonjon

I love the noise of the Hope SS hub 🙂

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

I really like screw on freewheels. Lovely solid feel, hubs with pop in bearings.
    Currently I have a surly on one bike and a Paul one on my road bike. The Paul one is lovely but only prettier than the surly, both perform the same. Screw on freewheels I’ve been using brick lane bikes ones. Very good.

When you say you can’t fit a mech hanger, do you want to?

There are always options. For example a couple of brands do chain tugs with mech hangers and also axle mounted hangers.

Daffy

If you’re planning to run a WI freewheel, CK, I9 and Hope are a No-go. You’d be looking at something like a WI hub or maybe a Phil Wood.

Daffy

Depends on what you’re intending to use your SS for. I’ve done over 120miles of purely SS this week on a mix of commuting, local MTB and Ashton court.

I like it a lot.

M

RoterStern
    Free Member

I have the Hope hub, too. The noise just makes you pedal more!!! They do have issues with the hub shell cracking (I have broken three so far) but they are easily replaced.

birdage

Had a Paul hub and WI freewheel that never missed a beat. Admittedly gone back to Surly cogs cause I wanted to have a choice of ratios. Suits me better.

takisawa2

Surly here. Had them years. Boringly simple, but bearing life on the rear isn’t great. It’s a 10 min job to change them though. White Industries freewheel is boringly reliable & long lasting. But if you get one invest in the correct removal tool as they take quite a shove to get them off.

The Surly’s look rather good anodised in red.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/ABGDmM]Untitled[/url] by pten2106, on Flickr

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘SS specific rear hub’ is closed to new replies.