• This topic has 12 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by cp.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • SS specific chains or just whatever you got lying around? Which is best?
  • ibnchris

Just rebuilt my inbred back into a singlespeed for the winter and used an old 9 speed chain I had. It snapped on the first big hill. Painful.

Should I be using a singlespeed specific chain and why don’t 9 speed chains fit on the 16 tooth sprockets you get with SS conversion kit? I take an SS specific one will?

mboy
    Free Member

My only experience of an SS specific chain was a SRAM PC1… It was utter sh*te! It stretched to its wear limit (1/4″ over 12 links) within 4 rides, and that’s on a bike with an Alfine hub fitted, not a true SS! And it would throw itself off the rear cog at any given opportunity. Total waste of £9 that was, and will never buy another…

Replaced it with a new cheapo KMC 8spd chain I found lying about… MUCH MUCH better, and as we all know 8spd chains are stronger than 9spd anyway… I’m sure there are some super brilliant SS only chains out there, that are miles better than my experience of the SRAM PC1, but whilst a cheapo KMC 8spd chain does the same job that’s what I’d buy again if I needed to…

MrSparkle

PC-1’s are garbage. Absolutely stretchtastic. I have just got a KMC one from CRC. Cheap ‘n cheerful & rustproof too! http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=25653
    So far so good.

chutney13
    Free Member

had a pc1 on for about three months now and had no problems with it.

julianwilson
    Free Member

I had a kmc 8 speed on for a long while and it was fine, replaced with a kmc singlespeed proper one and can’t really tell the difference. (well apart from what they look like and a few grams in weight if you are fussy like that).

tragically1969
    Free Member

KMC Z610 here, £10.50 @ charliethebikemonger.com, never missed a beat

fontmoss
    Free Member

using sram 8 speed chains for few years and they’ve been good, former boss used 9 speed without probs

nickc

whatever fits your sprocket and chainring.

Who’d have thought MTB chains would be better on a SS mountain bike than a BMX chain…? I mean, what are the chances?

Bimbler
    Free Member

I use a big fat KMC Kool Chain on my SS – it’s a 1/8″ chain so probably won’t fit on your setup I like the chain but bought all my SS bits before I read this from the Surly website

4. 1/2×1/8″ chains vs. 1/2×3/32″ chains. 1/2×1/8″ chains suck. Run whatever you want, but bigger isn’t better here. Yeah, they’re wider, but according to manufacturer-supplied data, they’re not stronger and they are definitely not of better quality. Multi-speed drivetrains is where the bucks are at, and chains that work on such drivetrains are where the manufacturers of chains showcase their innovations and developments in quality. The rollers are better, the plates are better, the pins are stronger, and the construction method (riveting procedure) is better on all multi-speed 3/32″ chains. I guess if you grind your chainring and chain down the handrail every night at the local pub, a bigger 1/2×1/8 ” chain will last longer, but most of us don’t and it won’t. If you have a Singleatorâ„¢: Dammit, don’t use a 1/2×1/8″ chain!!! Otherwise, you’ll tear the Singleatorâ„¢ off the bike, among other things, guaranteed. Such gross failure to follow instructions and subsequent damage is not covered under our “we love almost everybody” warranty policy. {This is no longer the case with our redesigned Singleator. The old version used a loop over the jockey wheel to help keep the chain in place. This loop would catch 1/8″ chains, which are fatter than 3/32″. The current Singleator uses guide plates on each side of the jockey wheel to achieve the same purpose, but depending on the orientation of the wheels, it can run 3/32″ or 1/8″ chains. We still prefer narrow chains, but if you absolutely must use an 1/8″, the new design will work for you.}

Keef
    Free Member

been using Sram pc7x’s for 6 years or so. not the cheapest,not the most expensive,but do the job,last as well if not longer than other chains.I don’t use anything else.

yes,I know they’re originally designed as a track chain,but they just work.
    😉

rootes1

don’t 9 speed chains fit on the 16 tooth sprockets you get with SS conversion kit? I take an SS specific one will?

because the sprocket is thicker… and requires an 1/8″ chain. Not becuase it needs to be, but mainly to protect the freehub.

PC-1 will do, used them a lot and they are cheap and work fine. But a key thing is to sort your chainline out..

If you want a ‘better’ 1/8 chain get a Wippermann 1/8 chain – properly well made and they do a range from black to plated. Have one on my SS road bike and works fine.

SS chains are far less tolerant of misalignment, unlike chains for derailluers which are of course designed to work out of alignment.

using a SS chain out of line will place unneeded stress and wear on it.

Si

ibnchris

thanks guys – some useful tips there and it looks like I don’t have to fork about a whole £10 on a new chain. More beer then.

cp

as mentioned several times, I had chronic wear & constant jumping off at high speed on a PC1 and wipperman until I realised the chainline was actually quite a way out (even though it looked okish) once I’ve sorted the chainline, everything was honkey dorey and the same pc1 chain has lasted ages now!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘SS specific chains or just whatever you got lying around? Which is best?’ is closed to new replies.