Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • SS question about horizontal dropouts?
  • paulos
    Free Member

Excuse my lack of knowledge but can you use a QR rear wheel with horizontal dropouts? the bike in question is a genesis IO ss. The one with the small M5 grub screw tensioners.

Thanks

Woody
    Free Member

Yes – no reason why not as long as the axle/track-ends are the same size.

mattsccm
    Free Member

I do on my Tricross SS

The problem with using a QR with horizontal dropouts is that the QR may not clamp the wheel tight enough to stop it slipping forward under pedalling loads.
    If you’ve got tensioners built in to the frame, then it’s nothing to worry about, so yes, you can.

jonb
    Free Member

I do without tensioners. I use a deore QR.

charliedontsurf

Halo make a hex key skewer, tightens using an Allen key. Dirt cheap too at about £8 a pair. You can do these up tighter than a normal qr. Sort of like butted axle set up on a qr hub. Loads of colours too.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Just use a decent QR. I use old steel campag ones. Just wondering why many people say that you can’t use a QR on a SS with horizontal drop outs. After all the vertical drop out is relatively new so the horizontal has been used for decades and many road bikes still use them. Even track ends ie with the opening at the rear are no different.
    I reckon the problems arose when fancy QRs came along that were not as solid as good old steel.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Just looked at a pic of the bike on the web. It has track ends and if you use a decent Qr it will be fine.

dot
    Free Member

yep, I have an IO and it’s done a few thousand miles with no probs using a QR

After all the vertical drop out is relatively new…

From what I remember of the early days, track bikes had horizontal dropouts, or “track ends” facing backwards and single speed road bikes had slot dropouts facing down and forward.
    Both types always had nutted hubs.
    “Racing” bikes with their fancy derailleur gears had short vertical dropouts and QR hubs.
    It’s only with this modern passing fad of single speed mountain bikes that we have had a problem as people mix the wrong hubs with the wrong dropouts.

mattsccm
    Free Member

When I said relatively new I was thinking this side of WW2. perhaps a touch vague. I don’t remember vertical dropouts being common when I was a keen gear freak in the late 70s’s and early 80’s. We all used Qrs on forward facing dropouts. However i might have a rather selctive memory.
    Anyway QR’s work ok with track ends

It would have been mid ’70s when I first got in to cycling, so I may be remembering it wrong.
    Only proper “racing” or “touring” bikes had derailleurs.
    Everything else was single speed, or Sturmey Archer Three Speed if you were posh. The dropouts faced forwards and the axle had nuts.
    Racing and touring bikes had much shorter dropouts as there was no need to adjust the chain tension, although, now I think about it, I remember we used to laugh at a friend who became known as Close Clearance Chris because he had bought a custom built racing frame, then found he had to let the tyre down to get the wheel out. The dropouts must have faced forward and not been vertical like a modern mountain bike.

paulos
    Free Member

wow thanks everyone i think that answered my question!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘SS question about horizontal dropouts?’ is closed to new replies.