Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • SS mtb choices?
  • aw
    Free Member

Right near the time to decide on a new SS MTB. I have it down to a few but first my requirements…

Ti or steel
    fully rigid or just front fork
    26 inch wheel about 18 inch frame
    price below £1000
    test ride required preferably in the south
    needs to look good or cool 🙂

My shortlist…

1. Cotic simple or soda (SS?)
    2. Kona explosif convert
    3. ti 456 SS
    4. Scandal (I know I said steel)
    5. Genesis
    6. on-one inbred

any other you can recommend?

I would like some comments if you own or have had these bikes especially if you can compare them with others 🙂

Needs to be a marked improvement on my existing kona cindercone 97 SS conversion pictured below…

Jase
    Free Member

I had a non disc mount version of the Inbred and it was fantastic.

Replaced it with a Voodoo Wanga which felt almost as good.

Now just building up a SImple.

All fully rigid BTW.

Jase
    Free Member

Oh and a friend had the Scandal and he said the ride was so hard compared to steel.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    aw
    Free Member

yes scandal maybe hard but the carbon rigid forks help I believe?

what is the simple like Jase?

inbred sounds good but would it not be any better than the cone?

The lack of discs would not be a problem as in most situations v brakes are fine!

Jase
    Free Member

Not sure on the Simple yet as haven’t fitted the chain yet.

A lot lighter than the Voodoo and Inbred though.

aw
    Free Member

I guess the uphills will be about weight…I love single track so I want a bike to do that job at least

aw
    Free Member

bump

Swiftacular
    Free Member

I had a Singular Swift that was a great bit of kit, climbed as well as any bike ive ever had, just singlespeed never really suited me, took me over half an hour on road to get offroad, if you get me, great on singletrack. Well worth a look. Very light and beautiful too.

aw
    Free Member

is that a 26″ or 29″ wheel swiftacular?

I love the look of the singulars I must admit…if |I wanted to test where would be the nearest place?

Anthony
    Free Member

The Inbred has that solid do everything feel. The Cotic and Genesis have more Zing for XC which I prefer, and is similar to the old steel Kona feel.

The others I haven’t owned so can’t compare.

JohnClimber
    Free Member

aw – Looks like you need to sort out the chain tension on youe Kona

crashvictim
    Free Member

Whyte 19, awsome bike

This one is for sale £950 you can gave a test ride im in bristol the brakes have been swopped to mono mini and thr=e tryes and sadle have been swopped by its all good kit.

Very positive feel to the stearing goes where you point it fast light ans comfortable ride.

aw
    Free Member

the cotic might have more zing like the old konas but are they more superior otherwise I might as well stick with my old kona!

clunker

Love my simple

clubber
    Free Member

I’ve tried several now and my favorite is my 853 inbred – takes up to a 5″ travel fork, the sliding dropouts work perfectly and it handles perfectly, for me at least.

squin
    Free Member

853 Inbred for me too. Previously had a Voodoo Wanga, but much prefer my OnOne.

squin
    Free Member

Clubber, what are those forks and where did you get them from, I want to run rigid on my OnOne, but am not having much luck finding suitable ones?

Thanks,

Stu

spooky_b329

My Explosif. Not for sale, but might help you make your mind up.

Kona Explosif Singlespeed

Got two sprockets on the back as I’ve lost a spacer, and there is enough fore-aft adjustment to change from 32:16 to 32:18 without messing with the chain which is nice 🙂

taka
    Free Member

all them bikes would look good i they had thease things called GEARS

clubber
    Free Member

stu – the rigids on mine are pipedream ones. I’m not sure if they still do them though. Any 440ish fork should be fine though.

squin
    Free Member

Cheers Clubber. I’m being fussy and want a specific shape – like yours! I’ll check out PD.

Thanks,

Stu

philster_21
    Free Member

I have a genesis i0 i find it awsome and british made. 2009 is better specked than the 08 which i have i upgraded brakes and wheel but you wont have to if you got 09. also customer service is great with them. (and it was lighter than my friends Inbred single speed)

clubber
    Free Member

stu, i could be tempted to part with them (i’d like some carbon ones). Drop me an email if you’re interested (address in my profile)

CountZero

tala, if they had gears, then they wouldn’t be singlespeeds now, would they? (pats him on the head and sends him back to play with his dolls in the corner). FWIW, I have an 853 Inbred with On-One carbon forks and it is very light, and an absolute delight to ride, although my experience with SSs’ is restricted to a Handjob with Planet X rigid forks and a Surley tensioner. The 853 would be the bike I kept if I had to get rid of three of my four.

james
    Free Member

“all them bikes would look good i they had thease things called GEARS”

They do, they just happen to have just the one (with the exception of the explosive, with 2)

Somehow I don’t think you’ve ever ridden(/been beaten uphill all the time) with/by a SSer

freeandsingle
    Free Member

You could do wonderful things to your existing bike for a grand! Think Paragon sliders to start with 🙂

samuri
    Free Member

is that a 26″ or 29″ wheel swiftacular?

Are you on crack? Look at it!! The photo looks like it’s been stretched.

HTTP404
    Free Member

The genesis IO looks good.
    frame only is also available for £200.

simon1975

Yeah I second freeandsingle’s comment. If you like the feel of the Kona you’ll struggle to improve much on that. I have a Unit which is a superb frame.

How about an EBB and a disc-mount for your Cindercone? Should be around £300 from Argos including a full paint job. I’d keep it rigid if I were you – but if it runs 1,1/8″ aheadset there’s plenty of scope to try both types of front end.

Keep it sustainable 😉

aw
    Free Member

paragon sliders?

wheel upgrade recommendation?

aw
    Free Member

bump

zaskar
    Free Member

I just SS an old bike frame lying around for peanuts :O)

But I like the Gensis Xo frame.

Kona has been done to death.

Titanium? that would be nice!

I’d have the Cotic.

FivebarG
    Free Member

Started with one of these –

Then got one of these –

Now have one of these – and the best so far….

Lionheart
    Free Member

Five Bar what are those? no phots …… My gash, put together for £250 On One Inbred EBB is my most fun and used bike and I have a bit of a choice. Most of those above and may be the Love Hate as well – so down to personal pref, good luck R

jfeb
    Free Member

If you want to test ride a Singular you need to contact “Sam” on this forum and he will try to set you up with one.

oldgit
    Free Member

I’ve had the Inbred and Kona singlespeeds, now on a Nicolai. If I was buying again and forgeting Nicolai it would be between Cotic and Sanderson. However if the Scandal singlespeed does happen then that for certain.

ozzybmx
    Free Member

Whats the Nicolai model ? how does it ride ?

oldgit
    Free Member

Ozzybmx
    It’s an Argon. It’s a great ride (for me anyway) one of those bikes that your other bikes can’t live with and have to go. Modified since this, my only picture with MonoMinis, Eggbeaters and USE bars.
    The sliding dropouts are great and it means I can run a very SWB. Also I’ve moved away from rigid forks. Lightweight suspension with lockout is more versatile.

ozzybmx
    Free Member

Nice mate !!! i have an Helius AM on the way , and already thinking about the next bike 😀

YoGrant
    Free Member

singular hummingbird…26/69er..

http://www.singularcycles.com

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘SS mtb choices?’ is closed to new replies.