Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • SS in the Peaks – so who's hard enough?
  • MisterT

OK so I know this SingleSpeed thing is de rigour and I must do it or i'm not a real MTB'r….

but I live in the heart of the Peak District, and every ride I do involves some damned big climbs…. so over the years I've converted a couple of bikes (a whyte 19 hardtail and more recently a very old Intense Tracer FS) – with the aim of it being my trusty winter plugger…

but who else is realy stupid enough to think that Singlespeeding in hills is good for you? (I recon it's wreking my knees) and since none of my riding buddies ride SS it means I'm way off ahead of them up climbs and way off behind them down long downhill sections…. so not that sociable.

also it's sh*t if you want to keep below your 75% max HR for quality base training…

so if you live in the hills, when is it good to ride SS if you care about a) your knees, b) your freinds and c) your fitness?

AndyP
    Free Member

99% of my riding is in the Peaks so I feel happy to answer this:
    so if you live in the hills, when is it good to ride SS if you care about a) your knees, b) your freinds and c) your fitness?

a) always
    b) always
    c) always.

also it's sh*t if you want to keep below your 75% max HR for quality base training…
    oh..that sounds like the rider rather than the bike…;)
    cheers
    A coach

tazzymtb

knee pain and ss/fixie riding is a bit of a myth IMO. Most of the time folks will go straight to blaming the SS rather than looking at spd cleat position, ride position etc.. Any inbalance in ride positon or pedal positon will certainly be more noticable under higher loads rather than spinning a gearie. It's particularly true for a alont of single speeds which are bodged "second bikes" so many folks won't spend as much time tuning their ride setup.

SS in the peaks is fine, just ride with other SS folk and hey presto no more problems. Although to be honest as mentioned in other STW ss threads no one actually rides a ss, it's all attention grabbing little niche mongers wanting to appear special.

So in answer to your questions – Always, because you're a hard, bearded ss rider with manly thighs (and the ss never leaves the garden shed) 😆

s8tannorm
    Free Member

I'm slap bang in the centre of Wales (after leaving the Peak district a few years ago). It's a minimum 350m climb and 3k to get out of the forest in any direction … single speeding makes it fun 😉

Stuart

Rorschach
    Free Member

100% of my riding is on a ss, so I feel happy to answer this:
    a)all the time (its the only thing that stops my knees hurting)
    b)your friends need to mtfu uphill and you need to mtfu downhill
    c)if you think riding ss does'nt improve fitness…you're pushing too much
    I've ridden the dark peak loads this year including a couple of 80k+ days and its pretty ss friendly (apart from up jacobs ladder),even oaken clough is doable-tho not at 75% threshold!

Rorschach
    Free Member

Currently running around waving willy……..

tazzymtb

LMAO 😀

BadlyWiredDog

What gearing are you running?

phiiiiil

When I used to ride SS around the Malverns (a bit like the Peak in that there are no flat bits, just silly steep bits) it wasn't the hills that did my knees in, it was spinning madly along flat roads that did it. I'd imagine a singlespeed in the Peak would be no more impractical than they are anywhere else… 🙂

nbt

I live in the peaks. I ride SS a lot. I don;t have bad knees. I'm often first to the top, but that just means I get to enjoy the view more, and gives my friends something to aim for in catching me up, and I'm rarely last downhill

ss is not wrong, it's just different

BadlyWiredDog

Are you riding ss at the weekend then Jules?

tazzymtb

SS is VERY WRONG it makes a fundamentally silly past time even more pointless, but that is the attraction. Only other fools will appreciate the fact that you have spent time and effort to hurt more and ride slower. 😉

thomthumb
    Free Member

secret weapon

😉

matt_outandabout

Done it a couple of times by accident when mechs have decided to wrap themselves round sprockets….

Its fun for once, but not for keeps. And damn it was hard work, slow and solo, 11pm at night from base of Stanage to Norfolk Park…

sharki
    Free Member

Tried it 14 or so months ago, broken road and rush up was ok, but hyper extending my knee after an error down chapel gate made the rest of the ride a tad painful but not horrendous.

That was the first of a 3 day ride and the next to days were easier with gears and a very tight stiff knee..

If you can ss in hills, the peaks aren't much worse than most for a day ride, consecutive days riding will need less beer and more strength and fitness IMHO.

If anyone who finds ss hard work and it takes away their riding enjoyment, then don't do it..Simples

nbt

Are you riding ss at the weekend then Jules?

I've been considering it, but decided to go with the bouncy bike. I'm paying for it so I want to get some use out of it. That's the problem when you have more than one bike, deciding which to use. that does mean the SS is available if anyone wants to give it a go. Same goes for the piggie 😉

MisterT

AndyP – well if it is Mr Pattersson? if so long time no see…. how's it like to be an Altura photo bitch?

…. since Im not one to ever give up when it gets hard work, then I still plan to keep SS'in in the Peaks.. just trying to convince myself (and even better my riding buddies) that it's still a great training aid.

recon the 22 tooth might be worth a try… currently on 34/18.

(contemplates)

BadlyWiredDog

Ah, I kind of want to have a play on a Blue Pig, but not for a whole ride. I've ridden the Ragley Ti but with slightly gash forks on, it sort of felt 'interesting' in a 'this has lots of potential, but not sure that's a good thing' sort of way. Compared to a new Hummer, which was just sort of sweet and neutral and civilised. I might bring the Pace. Or the 'vento. Or even the Voodoo. Not sure.

I used to ride 32:16 in the Peak. It was fine. It got up the steep climb towards Hope Cross out of the Jaggers Clough ford, so it can't be that hard. Now run 32:17, but I'm not SSing as much as I used to.

luked2
    Free Member

I managed to get round Thetford Forest on Sunday on a single speed (36:18). I'm sure there's nothing in the Peak District can possibly be as hard and painful as that was.

Like, I rode 40 miles and not a single cafe!

tazzymtb

32:18 for the peak district for me, I'm a big girly but it goes up hills quick and can still go at 24mph spinning like a hamster on ampetamines on the flat

Big-Dave
    Free Member

I live in North Devon, at the top of a hill, surrounded by hills. I'm sure riding a single speed is doing me some good but it doesn't always feel like it. I'm running a 38:20 on a 29er, seems acceptable if a bit slow on the steep bits.

attractivefish
    Free Member

SS riding in the peak is easy, I've been SSing for a few years mainly 32×17 or 18 on the 26er, 32×20 on the 29er. Though I have been riding fixie most of this year around the peak which can be a little interesting at times 😀 Also rode sleepless fixed and solo 😀

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘SS in the Peaks – so who's hard enough?’ is closed to new replies.