Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • SS freewheel quick repair
  • allankelly

Hi, in case this happens to you, a Top Tip.

My Pomp freewheel stopped engaging on the way to work this morning. I presumed the pawls were stuck – it's not new (ahem) and it was -3C when I left the house 5 miles earlier. Also the bike had sat outside all night – very unusual but maybe a factor. 5 miles to the train or 5 miles home so I was a bit fed up.

So, I lay it on it's side, span the wheel as fast as I could the "right" way and poured oil on the side-plate of the freewheel. Idea being that the oil is drawn into the freewheel body and flushes/frees the pawls. It worked, took about 1 minute of spinning and oiling. Straight up the climb out the back of East Linton, quite a grind if you don't know it, and no problem.

I only had Pedros chain lube with me so a bit thick but it's done the job.

Cheers, al.

Nick

I do this quite regularly on my pomp and mtb ss freewheels, stops it happening in the first place 🙂 that said when they eventually go, they go and it's time for another, but 2 years use in shitty conditions aint bad for 15 quid.

epicyclo

Piddling on them also works in cold weather 🙂

tony_m
    Free Member

Yeah, I regular dribble a bit of Finish Line chain lube into the gap between the edge of the sprocket and the faceplate (ACS Main Drive) while spinning the wheel. Makes the freewheel pleasantly stealthy. 😎

allankelly

Postscript: Went to Tesco to buy a handbag-sized tin of WD40 to flush it a bit more, but they just have big cans.

Popped into The Bike Chain for a chin-wag and they gave me a handbag-sized tin of 3-in-one spray – "They're samples, help yourself." Just what I needed. Thanks!

Cheers, al.

epicyclo

allankelly – Member
    …Popped into The Bike Chain for a chin-wag and they gave me a handbag-sized tin of 3-in-one spray…

You and your handbag will give single speeding a bad name. What next? beer drinking?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘SS freewheel quick repair’ is closed to new replies.