Viewing 28 posts - 41 through 68 (of 68 total)
  • SS do I need to MTFU or get gears?
  • psling
    Free Member

You are indeed correct muckytee. I think a few of the earlier posters have missed the reference to 26″ in the op, 36-19 is hardly a monster gear.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

stick a 20t on the back and man up, More people use an easier gear than you. 2-1 is a benchmark but seen and ridden with loads of people that run easier. They are fine on the flat as they have learn to carry their speed better.

But in all honesty your questioning your own ability, not good 🙁

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

Corrected. I did indeed misread the original post – I had it in my head he was running a 39T ring for some reason.

He should therefore MTFU or get some gears

Yours dyscalculically (?)…

muckytee
    Free Member

Singlespeed_Shep – could you give me some examples where you’ve ridden before?

Single speeders I need some examples of what’s possible, because currently I’m looking up at hills and thinking eurgh not again. But then I dislike sitting and spinning even more…

captainscrumpy
    Free Member

My advice is that you just get out and ride more.
    You could spend weeks changing your gear ratio getting it “just right”.
    Or just go out and ride more and get used to the gear.
    I’ve always found that tyre choice plays a bigger part on a singlespeed or going rigid really helped me on the climbs.

Yak

what singlespeed shep said.

20t gets you close to a 32:18 equivalent, which is what I and a few others default to in hilly areas instead of 2:1. Its only 1t difference, but it should be significant.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

Singlespeed_Shep – could you give me some examples where you’ve ridden before?

I live in North Yorkshire, so a regular on the Moors or into the Dales, but my bike has taken me all over the UK singlespeeding from South Downs to Fort William.

I ride a 29er with 35-19 (Tazzy Wonky ring which is excellent)

I have ride with a guy who often comes out with a 32-18 on the Moors, Last one down the hills and on the flat but first up.

mattjg
    Free Member

@muckytee if you’re suffering from arm pump you could try a wobbly ring, I found a difference. But SS is not easy to start with, you’ve got to want to do it. If it’s not in you, it’s not in you.

Also on muddy terrain or technical climbs the rear wheel slips as I stamp on the pedals.

Don’t stamp on the pedals, try and keep it even.

And knowing when to walk is part of SSing. If you’re getting in a stress on the climbs, you’re doing it wrong.

Cheezpleez

1) Rigid fork
    2) 32:18 or equivalent
    3) Merkin
    4) Pickled eggs

mintimperial

muckytee I live in Marsden too. I don’t have a SS built up at the moment, but when I did I found that 32:18 was perfect for round here.

We should meet up for a ride! I’m quite happy to stick my bike in one gear and honk round with a singlespeeder. 🙂

wl
    Free Member

What did you expect from a SS? You know the answer to this. Get gears and start enjoying yourself.

Keef
    Free Member

wl – Member
    What did you expect from a SS? You know the answer to this. Get gears and start enjoying yourself.

spending hours cleaning fixing and working to pay for danglers an cables and knobs an that……. 😉

TBH it’s not for everyone,not everyone is up to SS’ing,some people are just soft and lazy……… 😆

mattjg
    Free Member

Get gears and start enjoying yourself.

chainsucking, chainbreaking, ghost shifting, tooth jumping, mech trashing, hanger bending, jockey-wheel replacing, shifter indexing, letting the gearing disrupt the riding … 😉

tazzymtb

Single speeders I need some examples of what’s possible, because currently I’m looking up at hills and thinking eurgh not again. But then I dislike sitting and spinning even more…

29ers

35-18 on racey SS
    34-19 on big steel jones with a fat front, smashes up climbs in the peak, long mynd (the climb up carding mill valley is fun)natural welsh rock stuff and trail centres
    33-17 on general Ti play bike as above no problems with evil steep grunters or long drags

Fat bike
    33-19 for snow fun.

as fuzzy mylne once said SS riding is all about the gun show, big upper body strength will help maul up climbs where skinny wee riders stall and die. 😀

tattoos and a cheeky nip of absinthe also helps *hic*

yep wonky rings kick ass for SS 😀

Ringo
    Free Member

Always about the ass for Taz 🙂

mattjg
    Free Member

yeah. revenge on the skinnys. revenge!

Cheezpleez

I think the Pope says it’s possible to ‘cure’ gearies but that’s just prejudice. They were born that way and they deserve to be treated just like human beings.

Keef
    Free Member

Cheezpleez – Member
    I think the Pope says it’s possible to ‘cure’ gearies but that’s just prejudice. They were born that way and they deserve to be treated just like human beings.

are you drunk,sir ? 😉

tazzymtb

Always about the ass for Taz

well chaps in tight lycra do it for me, I’ll leave the ladies for you ringo 😆

mattjg
    Free Member

How would you feel if your daughter brought home a new boyfriend and he was a gearie?

tazzymtb

How would you feel if your daughter brought home a new boyfriend and he was a gearie?

I could just about tolerate it unless…

he was a short fat one with an orange 5….she’d be in the workhouse with the other fallen women in no time at all and I’d have my man horse whip the gearie and then set the dogs on him.

My tolerant, Christian attitude can only be pushed so far.

mattjg
    Free Member

horse whipping’s too good for them

muckytee
    Free Member

@mintimperial – Sure I’m game, let me know when you can. Email’s in profile.

What I’ll do is get a 34t front ring, that way it’ll lower the gear making it a bit easier, and if I still don’t like it then a 34t will be better than a 36t for 1×9 as well.

tomhoward

Just a quick question, if I ride a singlespeed (32:16) and a ‘gearie’, should I expect to be shunned or embraced?

I do have a beard, if that helps?

Keef
    Free Member

depends who you want to be shunned or embraced by….

tazzymtb

@ keef- You shun him from behind and I’ll give his front a big cuddle

tomhoward

😆

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

Just a quick question, if I ride a singlespeed (32:16) and a ‘gearie’, should I expect to be shunned or embraced?

This lot may embrace you: 😆

A pure soul is hard to find.

Viewing 28 posts - 41 through 68 (of 68 total)

The topic ‘SS do I need to MTFU or get gears?’ is closed to new replies.