Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • S&S coupling.. Anybody put one on a mountain bike ?
  • righog
    Free Member

Thinking of putting one on a Hardtail. Any pictures would be good. Tentative plan for going abroad with a 29er and 2 sets of wheels.

cynic-al
    Free Member

No but why wouldn’t you?

EDIT break-away bikes are very good, pack as small and cost less?

whattyre
    Free Member

**Ben to the forum**

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Mate has em on mtb tandem, will direct him this way.

d45yth
    Free Member

Plenty of custom-builders offer this option…won’t be cheap though. I’d rather buy a S/H Ibis Tranny (bolt-on rear) or similar (If it had to be a hardtail).
    Couplers don’t save as much time as you would think, as you can still have problems with cables/hoses without removing parts.
    I think a lot of full-sus frames would actually pack down smaller with them not having full size rear triangles.

Edit: Is your frame steel? I’ve just been reading that’s what the frame would have made from…I think that only applies when altering existing frames though.

bencooper
    Free Member

Yup, I’ve fitted quite a few to MTBs – they’re plenty strong enough but yes, it has to be a steel frame.

Cables can have splitters, so you can separate the entire thing and have two halves to pack away.

righog
    Free Member

I genuinely had not thought of splitting a full Sus at the Pivot for transport..Doh It’s not as if my full suss has more than one.

It also looks as if the frame would need re powder coating/painting so a good second hand frame would be a good option.

Thanks for the links, that Inbred looks great.

Macgyver

Yep Crashtestmonkey has seen ours in action. We have a Ventana full bounce tandem with S&S couplings – 5 couplings to be precise to split the frame into three. Works very well too. I did not bother with cable splitters for the gears as I went for shifters that had seperate backets on the bars so when we pack it the grips, brackets for brakes and gears stay onthe bars and I just neatly coil and tape the hoses and gear cables in a loop.

Not sure if this link still works as work bans certain things but there was a little slide show of it being stripped and packed in this thread.

http://forums.mtbr.com/tandem-mountain-bikes/ventana-tandem-ss-couplers-436239.html

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘S&S coupling.. Anybody put one on a mountain bike ?’ is closed to new replies.