Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • SS Conversion problems
  • jon1973
    Free Member

Just replaced the drivetrain on my converted singlespeed bike – new chain, chainring, cog, tensioner and freehub, alignment seems to be spot on but it seems to be slipping when I put any real force on the peddles. It runs smoothly when the bike is upside-down, and everything seems to be bedding down nicely.

I got the kit from Charlie the Bikemonger > the first one on the page and a half decent Surley chain ring

I’ve run out of ideas. Has anyone had any experience of this / any suggestions?

cheers,

Jon

pixelmix
    Free Member

Check the alignment of everything (including the tensioner), then check if again.

Loose chainring bolts are also a possibility, or a chainring which isn’t straight? Is the lockring on the spacers set tightened up enough?

Clutches at straws a bit here!

benz
    Free Member

Can you remove a link from the chain to get a bit more tension?

Worked for me when I had the same symptoms…..

Tom83

Stiff link or two maybe?

jon1973
    Free Member

thanks pixelmix – I’ll double check. The chainring bolts seem tight – there is no play at all, although they only tighten up so much before the whole thing moves around inside the hole – I probably need a tool to hold the nut while I tighten the Alan bolt.

benz – the chain seems pretty tense already, and it’s a sprung tensioner, but I may give that a try and see if it helps.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Knackered pawls in the freewheel?

jon1973
    Free Member

Knackered pawls in the freewheel

it’s a shimano freehub which I got replaced today, but it did make any difference – I must admit that was my first thought, as I had similar problems before and that sorted it out.

mmb
    Free Member

not enough chain contact with the rear sprocket? try losing a link to create more.

jon1973
    Free Member

thanks guys. Definitely worth trying to remove a link – see if that helps.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘SS Conversion problems’ is closed to new replies.