Viewing 23 posts - 41 through 63 (of 63 total)
  • SS commuters, How long is your journey and what gear ratio do you use????
  • chunkypaul
    Free Member

10 miles rough canal track each way – although commuting largely restricted now due to home working

alfined 29er with wide bonty xdx's – found i was only using the two highest gears, so SS'ed it to 32 x 13 which is 71 gear inches

agent_f

32:16 on a mtb with chunky tyres, commute is approx 8 miles with a couple of short sharp climbs. Spinning out on the flat bits…but still surprisingly fast.

2tyred

48:16 fixed on 700c wheels for 11 miles each way into central Glasgow from the north east.

Hilly in places (West Campbell St and the Col de Croix de Firhill St are hard work) but a smaller ratio would be annoyingly spinny on the flat I reckon.

Took it up the Crow Road from Lennoxtown not long ago, that was easier than I thought once I got started.

ourmaninthenorth

Er, I made an error. Correct statement is:

5 miles, flat.
    72", fixed.

crispedwheel
    Free Member

5 miles each way, road and towpath. 48×18 on 26×1.75 semi slicks. 69 gear inches I think.

dobo
    Free Member

26" 44/18 at the moment and about 3 miles each way
    dont often commute tbh but hope to increase it soon but i use it quite often to do 2hr road rides when i cant be arsed getting muddy.

it makes most hills doable, if i was purely commuting for my journey i'd switch to a 16 for sure.

Dibbs
    Free Member

I commute 15 miles each way crossing the Quantock Hills, I've tried 48:18 (Genesis Flyer), I have to get off and push for about a quarter of a mile, 32:16 (Whyte 19 SS), I can cope with hills but the 7 miles of flatish stuff feels more like 70 and I start losing the will to live.
    I've now got a CX bike to commute on (Cyclescheme) its quick on the road and gives me the option to take the scenic route across the Quantocks if I want to. 😀

Alek
    Free Member

16miles 42:18 – fairly flatish (for the Highlands!)

allankelly

East Lothian 10 miles each way rural roads and occasional farm tracks and forest paths. Pompino, 700c, CX tyres (Maxxis Larsen Mimo), puncture-proof strips (we have a LOT of hawthorn in East Lothian, all cut nice + neat and all over the road…) and 40×16 SS.

How the bloke above does 48×16 I have no idea!

3 years ago I rode it with skinny road tyres every day 30 miles to and from Edinburgh fixed 40×14, training for TransScotland, "1000 miles in May" and raised money for Sick Kids doing that. That was good. No serious hills though – on fixed it's the descents that put me off!

Cheers, al.

piemann
    Free Member

Chorlton to Macclesfield. About 18 miles each way.
    48×18, 25mm 700c fixed gear. I can only do 3 days a week if I want any energy left for leisure riding.

Olly
    Free Member

hoping to get into the habit of the 15 miles to work this year.
    reckon ill be going with gears though….
    looking forward to converting my XtC to "touring/traffic" mode though 🙂

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

42:16 13 miles across bristol on 700c 25's. It can be a bit stop-start so thats why I don't run anything too olympic 🙂 Anything lower is far too spinny, yet anything much bigger and it can become a graunch up some of the short stabby hills or away from lights every 50 yrds.

Helios
    Free Member

2 miles, 39:16 with 700cc…

I really should change that ratio to reduce the spinning…

nevertoomanybikes
    Free Member

2 miles, 39:16 on 26 x 1.75 semi slicks tyres. That's 77 inches apparently.

Possibly the only flat commute in Edinburgh.

disco_stu
    Free Member

48×18 on a fixed pompino with 5 miles into work and up to 20 miles via the 'scenic' route home(depending on how lazy i'm feeling)

nellyp
    Free Member

39 – 15 Fixed which is about 66"

15 miles each way with a lump on the way home and a spin out on the way to work!

s1m0n
    Free Member

8 miles each way to and from Leeds.
    40:15 on inbred with 26" x 1.5" slicks.

soobalias
    Free Member

wow wee what a thread

5 miles
    48:18 (70inches)
    hilly, onroad, 700*23c, ss, full guards, drop bars

allankelly

There's no photos on this thread.

al.

djglover
    Free Member

What the hell is that 😮

monkeychild
    Free Member

30 miles round trip on 48:18 fixed on the pompy, 32:16 mud plugging on the io

Allan wtf have you done to that poor Pompino?????

allankelly

Diglover: It's a Pothole-Proof Pompino (c).

Built specifically for my commute on rubbish roads through beautiful countryside in the dark!

Cheers, al.

fontmoss
    Free Member

42:16 CX not far to commute but use same ratio for going longer rides offroad etc, thinking of experimenting with 39:16 but reckon might be a bit spinny on the road

Viewing 23 posts - 41 through 63 (of 63 total)

The topic ‘SS commuters, How long is your journey and what gear ratio do you use????’ is closed to new replies.