• This topic has 17 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by jonb.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • SS chainring recommendations
  • tiago
    Free Member

Hi,

I need to replace a ramped 32t chainring on my 29er for an unramped SS specific. The cranks is 104 BCD compatible (4 holes).
    I have heard a couple of bad things about the durability of the alloy Blackspire mono veloce. Are there alternatives out there?

Cheers

tragically1969
    Free Member

I have a Salsa one from Charlie the Bikemonger, very nice it is too.

tiago
    Free Member

charliethebikemonger carries both Salsa and Surly chainrings. Thanks for the heads up. I should stop using CRC as my main shopping venues…

MrTall
    Free Member

BETD also do Goldtec ones which i use and seem to be very good.

wwaswas

I've got one of the Stainless on-one chainrings – seems to be holding up

avdave2

Thorn also do a good range.

james
    Free Member

I've not used one, but on-one do them too

crispedwheel
    Free Member

Charlie BM does FSA ones on his ebay shop as well – they're not listed on his own website though.

Aidan
    Free Member

I've used Surly and On-One. I think On-One look slightly nicer and are cheaper. Both seem to work the same.

bonzodog
    Free Member

I somehow managed top bend my Surly ring, and was astonished at how easily it went out of shape.

The On-Ones Ive had seem to last ages. Highly recommended.

BigJohn

The Surly ones do bend easily – but I've only done it when using it in a geared 2-ring set-up.

They last forever SS.

tazzymtb

+ 1 for goldtec, fab rings got them on both of my SS bikes

simondbarnes

The Surly ones work really well and last ages.

chela
    Free Member

I had a Blackspire Mono Veloce and it was alright. Mine seemed slightly eccentric to me, maybe it was defective, but I never quite got to the bottom of that.

Using a Thorn one at the moment and it's as brilliant as a chainring could be. Big teeth, long-lasting, smart-looking. Perfect.

tiago
    Free Member

Loads of suggestions, thanks. What is the thickness of the On-one: 3/32 or 1/8?

gee
    Free Member

Renthal – now available from Ison Distribution.

GB

Keef
    Free Member

yup, goldtec here,been using them for a few years,like 'cause you can rotate 'em,and flip 'em over,so last like 8x as long.guess you can do this with others an all tho…….
    Never bent one yet,and I've ridden over plenty of fallen trees.

jonb
    Free Member

I've had two chainrings from st john street cycles, the main importers of thorn but the ring is TA or similar own branded. One's been going for a few years, the other new. I like 'em.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘SS chainring recommendations’ is closed to new replies.