Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • SS chainline, uber critical?
  • Mugboo

Just setting up my first Single speed.

Is how central the chain sits on the rollers a good indication?

And what about this centralising chainrings to get rid of tightspots?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

1) not uber critical, mine could maybe do with being a little straighter, but its never come off.

2) I run a tensioner rather than slidey dropouts, but the need to get the chainring central depends on the ring/crank combination, some/most rings sit on the lip on the cranks so are completely central. If not and you have tight spots take the chain off, undo chainring bolts, grasp chainring firmly and twist it anti clockwise (or hold it still and push the crank as if you were pedaling), nip up the bolts, check for tight spots, tighten the bolts.

soobalias
    Free Member

good indication – could be, look along the chain not down on it
    centralising the chainring…… see how tight the tight spot is, if required crack the bolts and tap with a rubber mallet.

wwaswas
    Mugboo

Cheers chaps. Read the Sheldon stuff but thought I’d check with the Singletrack Massive..

mboy
    Free Member

Oddly, chain quality can cause/exaggerate issues with chainline. I used a SRAM PC1 (brand new) briefly on my On One Inbred 29er (with hub gear, so same principle as setting up an SS) and no matter what I did, the chain just kept getting thrown off! It also seemed to stretch massively every ride, in fact after 6 rides I binned it, by which time it had stretched probably 1/4 inch over 12 links!!! REALLY!

Replaced it with an 8spd KMC chain, on paper not as strong, and designed to be able to shift on an 8spd setup. Not a single issue!

13thfloormonk

Mboy, thats interesting, I’ve just fitted an SRAM PC-1 chain and it seems to be stretching massively as well, forever tensioning it.

Also, wonder if a derailleur chain would withstand sloppy chainline better, after all, the chain is massively off-centre when you run it in middle ring and biggest sprocket, and yet stays on fine.

cupra
    Free Member

I will never use a sram pc1 chain again, never seen a cahin stretch so much.

tony_m
    Free Member

I tried a PC-1 once… 🙄

Since then I’ve always used PC-7X on both SS and fixed without any problems.

13thfloormonk

Dammit, looks like I better get rid before it chews into my new freewheel and chainring 👿

thomthumb
    Free Member

i have used pc-1s in the past with no problem.

i’m currently running a silver PC1 it has so much lateral play from new it’s unbelievable. keep throwing it too. might get rid.

PaulD
    Free Member

Guys,

Try a KMC Z610 Rustbuster at £6 from CRC.

So far it seems excellent on a ‘9-speed’ 32T and ‘SingleSpeed’ 17T.

I have also bought a KMC Z51 for an 8-speed winter bike at £8 from them.

PaulD

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘SS chainline, uber critical?’ is closed to new replies.