Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Sri Lanka's killing fields
  • mudmonster
    Free Member

I hope I will be able to sleep after watching this. Maybe i should just record it.

Jamie
    Free Member

It’s going to be a grim watch. Going to watch it live, as I reckon I will keep passing it over if I record it.

Jamie
    Free Member

Going to have nightmares tonight I think.

Brutal.

Lifer
    Free Member

Sorry, what’s this?

Jamie
    Free Member

Channel 4 since 11.

dyna-ti

That was grim.
    Similar in graphic brutality to the nazi death camps but possibly more shocking.
    I would advise against watching 😕

mudmonster
    Free Member

I’m not gonna sleep for sure. People should boycott that country. I feel physically sick. Not sure if it’s through anger or disgust. Absolutely horrific. No one really cares though.

grum
    Free Member

I’ve always wanted to go to Sri Lanka – it’s meant to be a really beautiful place, but I don’t think I would want to go now. I didn’t see the programme but have read quite a bit about it. 🙁

Jamie
    Free Member

No one really cares though.

That was the sad thing, watching UN ‘doing a Rwanda’ again…..and yet they voted unilaterally to intervene in Libya to stop a massacre. What the hell?

While the Tamil Tigers were in no way innocent, the fact the Sri Lankan government were using GPS co-ordinates, supplied to them by the Red Cross to warn them of hospitals and medical centres, as shelling targets is just staggering.

dyna-ti

Some thread about what the kids will be doing over the hols runs to 4 pages.Changing a politically incorrect dog name from a remade film runs to 10 pages but this,possible the most brutal war crimes committed,requiring people to watch and then hound the’re collective governments to take action.
    Receives only 10 replies mostly from the same people,then drops off the main page 😕
    Priorities eh 😕

disco_stu
    Free Member

It was on quite late which may have meant a lot of people were tucked up in bed whilst it was on.
    Though I think the timing of this was understandable as some of the scenes in it were particularly grim 🙁

brakes
    Free Member

the most brutal war crimes committed,requiring people to watch and then hound the’re collective governments to take action.
    Receives only 10 replies

I had no idea it was on, and to be honest I don’t come on here to ‘chat’ about world atrocities

SaxonRider

OMG. I have just watched it, and feel numb and sick at the same time.

dyna-ti

Cheers 8)
    I want to see something done as i expect does everyone else
    I also applaud C4 for having the balls to show executions and fresh blood,not the stuff you see in the aftermath of a suicide bombing where its been sitting for 3 hours but the fresh arterial pinky red.From experience of the meat trade ,that has happened within ten minutes.

5lab

I’ll be interested in seeing this – I was in Sri Lanka last year (it is beautiful) and didn’t see any ‘signs’ of nasties. Didn’t go into the north though, which I believe is where the worst things happened

chewkw
    Free Member

dyna-ti – Member
    I want to see something done as i expect does everyone else

No, I don’t. Unless you want to do the same to the other side.

I suspect their stronger neighbour (India) might have more say than anyone else. It is their “internal” problem.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

dyna-ti – Member

Some thread about what the kids will be doing over the hols runs to 4 pages.Changing a politically incorrect dog name from a remade film runs to 10 pages but this,possible the most brutal war crimes committed,requiring people to watch and then hound the’re collective governments to take action.
    Receives only 10 replies mostly from the same people,then drops off the main page
    Priorities eh

Well one of the reasons why it’s unlikely to go into 10 pages, apart from the one suggested by brakes, is that there isn’t likely to be a whole range of opinions on the matter – what do you want people to talk about ?

Your only suggestion appears to be “I would advise against watching”. OK, I didn’t watch it, and I probably won’t, and since I know almost nothing about the Tamil Tigers struggle for independence, I am unlikely to make a huge contribution to this thread. That doesn’t however translate as me not caring about the slaughter of innocent people.

dyna-ti

Forget it 🙄

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Forget it

Instead of getting into a strop, why don’t you suggest what we can do about it, or what we should talk about ?

Ignore chewkw btw……he’s just a harmless idiot.

CHB

Missed the fact this was on. I have family links with Sri Lanka and have some sympathy for the government in that they needed to take a tough line with the Tigers, but this appears excessivly brutal.

chewkw
    Free Member

The whole problem started from 2nd century BC … 🙄

SaxonRider

‘excessively brutal’ doesn’t describe it. The images in the documentary so something akin to the utter horror of concentration camps – only ‘fresher’.

To think that human beings could commit such acts… well…

5thElefant
    Free Member

‘excessively brutal’ doesn’t describe it. The images in the documentary so something akin to the utter horror of concentration camps – only ‘fresher’.

It was more like the battles between the Nazis and the Russians. Or pretty much any war pre-1945. Brutal.

But it has none of the features of death camps and factory line execution and disposal.

Many of the ‘war crimes’ they listed are in fact the tactics used by the west during ww2.

StirlingCrispin

I used to have a Tamil lass working for me.

One day she came in to work in tears – the night before her Uncle had been dragged from his bed and had his throat cut.
    The same thing had happened to her father a couple of years before…

chewkw
    Free Member

I have friends who are Tamil & Sinhalese.

Both blame each other.

🙄

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Reminded me of what we found in Angola in 1995… 🙁

SaxonRider

5thElefant – Member

It was more like the battles between the Nazis and the Russians. Or pretty much any war pre-1945. Brutal.

But it has none of the features of death camps and factory line execution and disposal.

Many of the ‘war crimes’ they listed are in fact the tactics used by the west during ww2

Fair enough. I suppose I meant the feeling of horror evoked by the scenes of death camps. But also in terms of the profoundest possible disrespect for life and the human person.

5thElefant
    Free Member

Fair enough. I suppose I meant the feeling of horror evoked by the scenes of death camps. But also in terms of the profoundest possible disrespect for life and the human person.

From my limited grasp of history I’d say that was like most wars that have ever been fought.

The difference is the availability of the footage.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Sri Lanka's killing fields’ is closed to new replies.