Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • SRAM/Wipperman Powerlink on Shimano Dyna Sys 10 Speed?
  • rich_959
    Free Member

Anyone done this?

I used to use an SRAM 9 speed powerlink on my 9 speed shimano chain with no issues, but I can’t find it written anywhere that the 10 speed link will also work on shimano dyna sys. Some road bike forums saying it’s fine, but I don’t know if 10 speed shimano road chains are the same width. Any clues?

I know officially, SRAM and Shimano will tell you that neither should ever be mixed but I know many people do with 8/9 speed.

Cheers.

rich_959
    Free Member

Anyone? Struggling to find anything on this. Can’t even find replacement pins for the HGX chains and wondering how to repair if I have a breakage…unless the standard pins are re-usable? 😕

rootes1

how about just getting a whole wippermann 10speed chain?

tang
    Free Member

sram are ‘powerlock’ for 10spd so pretty useless. ive just ordered a wippermann chain with a connex inc. cheaper than buying a kmc link for £9 and a hg94 chain.
    struggled to find any info on compatibility of other chains, the directionalness of the shimano seem to be something to do with front and rear shiftng. im running 1×10 so hopefully not an issue! although it might be…

rich_959
    Free Member

Thanks for the responses folks.

Rootes1, I already have the shimano chain because I bought a groupset so it would be a shame/more expensive to buy a new wippermann chain but I guess that’s the way forward in future.

Tang – not heard of the KMC link. Is this a re-usable powerlink style thingy for the HGX chains? If so, it sounds just the job – even if it is £9. Thanks for that. I’ll search the web now….

Also, you say the shimano chain is directional? Didn’t know that! Good job I haven’t fitted it yet. Is it logo’s to the outside then? I really should read the instructions more….

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

I use Sram Powerlocks in my Shimano 10spd chains and it’s fine.

I tried a Sram 9spd one in an emergency and it just fell apart.

Logos on the outside, yes.

ratherbeintobago

KMC link. Is this a re-usable powerlink style thingy for the HGX chains? If so, it sounds just the job – even if it is £9.

Technically, KMC Missing Links are for KMC chains, but it’s rumoured that they make Shimano chains anyway. I’ve got a 10sp KMC link on my Shimano road bike chain with no probs.

Andy

xanboy
    Free Member

The Shimano MTB 10sp chain is a different width to the Shimano road 10sp chains. The MTB one is wider they are also directional and the writing & logos are on the outside.

rich_959
    Free Member

Xanboy, that’s exactly what I’ve read elsewhere – KMC or SRAM links are ok in 10 speed shimano road chains, but not MTB HGX. So there is no quick link option for the MTB HGX chain? Rang my LBS and they said you can’t even buy pins for the HGX, as it is re-joinable at any link with the existing pins – just don’t push them all the way out.

So I guess the only bet is to carry the 2 or 3 spare links with me which I removed in order to size the chain. Then if I get a breakage I’ll have to make the best of the spare bits? Wouldn’t be so bothered but I know how difficult it was to push a link out the brand new chain in my warm kitchen with my proper chain tool – never mind at the side of a rainy trail with cold hands and the chain tool on my multi-tool. Hmmm, maybe I bought the wrong groupset.

tang
    Free Member
    rich_959
    Free Member

Tang – Yeah, seems like a mixed bag of opinions again but I’ve ordered the KMC’s and I’ll see how I get on. Might run with the chain as normal until I either get a breakage or need to take the chain off for any reason, then try the KMC.

Thanks for all your replies.

depth-junkie
    Free Member

I use a kmc missing link with both my sram and shimano 10 speed mtb chains. Ive had no problems what so ever. The missing link is reusable so makes taking a chain off for cleaning and alternating chains a dodle. I orderd a kmc shimano 10 speed missing link from wiggle, and have used it on both my mtb 10speed sram and shimano chains on my five. They come in a pack off 2 for £18, expensive but they work. 1 for the chain’s and 1 for trail spares incase of a snapped chain or knackerd link.

allmountain76
    Free Member

rich_959 Is this definitely correct do you think? “Rang my LBS and they said you can’t even buy pins for the HGX, as it is re-joinable at any link with the existing pins – just don’t push them all the way out”

I just fitted my 2 x 10 Dynasys and i didnt make the chain short enough using the snap pin. They have 10 speed snap off pins on CRC and i cant imagine they wouldnt fit dynasys chains. However, mine havent arrived today and i want to shorten the chain. Ive had nowt but trouble with 9 speed chains ive shortened using the existing pins, they always snap on me!

tang
    Free Member

fitted the wippermann chain with connex using 9spd chainring, dyna sys shifter, rear mech and cassette. no problems at all. faultless shifting in the grime.

tegski
    Free Member

I am currently running an Ultegra chain on my 10speed DynaSys XT set up. This was because the Shimano chain broke in a race and that was what the owner of the LBS slapped on. Cannot tell the difference in shifting. I also now have the Wipperman link as I like to take the chain off to clean it.
    Today I noticed another bent link (race gear change – a bit careless!) and I have replaced it with the Sram powerlink…but this is not removeable. Will see how this lot goes on the next ride!!! It shifts well but…overall, not too impressed with the 10 speed since I have only ridden about 500km and broken two chains.
    I have only had one other problem in 10 years previously – using sram, shimano and kmc. (whatever is on special!)
    Hmmm.

MTB-Rob
    Free Member

From the SRAM 2011 Callections, and from the Rep,
    All road and MTB 10spd compoents are all inter changeable for a real mix/match/custum set up.
    10spd power lock is directional and can not be opened again, and you need a chain tool to romovel it.

PC1091R, PC1091,PC1071, PC1051, PC1051, PC1031 are chain listed in both road and MTB listings. and are “industry standard 10spd systems”

AS for Shimano chains, I thought the MTB links where diff due to the links been mechined more over the road links or it’s the other way round! I am sure I saw on here some where a pic with Shimano road and MTB links made over sized/BIG to show the diff in links.

rich_959
    Free Member

Allmountain76 – I’m quoting what the LBS said, that the 10 speed pins are not compatible with HGX chains. There is of course the strong possibility that they’re talking rubbish!! From what has been said above, I’m going to go with the KMC’s and see how I get on. Well, the chain is fitted now (with the normal pin that came with the new chain) so who knows – maybe it’ll go for a long time without breaking, but it’s nice to have a powerlink style thingammy bob (tech term) in the backpack for emerency.

As an aside – the normal links are blummin’ hard work to push out/in compared to 8 and 9 speed chains I’ve had in the past. Nearly bust my hand trying to remove a couple of links to set the chain length. Went in a bit easier, but still hard work.

allmountain76
    Free Member

i fitted my “Dura Ace” 10 speed connnector pin on Sat after they arrived from CRC. Did 31k round Satterthwaite Sunday and the chain seemed smooth as butter and didnt skip or bind. Im using the dynasys (HG93 i think) chain.

rich_959
    Free Member

HG chains are different to HGX chains though. I’m told. Totally confused – I’ll worry about it when it breaks, then try one of the 17 different spare links/pins I’ve accumulated while trying to determine which is the right one. Thanks god for progress eh?!

rich_959
    Free Member

P.S. The chain that came with my groupset didn’t have a snap-pin. It was just a normal length pin that was partially attached to one of the links. So you attach that by pushing the pin in as normal, but there is no excess to snap off at the back. This did make me think the LBS could have been right, because why would it come with a different short pin if the normal 10sp snap-pins are right?

snakebite
    Free Member

I was just about to press the button on 10speed, however, as it appears to be a beta group at the moment, i’ll stick with tried and trusted…

allmountain76
    Free Member

My chain:
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=52282

Came with a snap pin that looks identical to the Dura Ace 10 speed ones.

allmountain76
    Free Member

PS: I also bought new chain rings but didnt buy 10 speed ones. I bought 9 speed XT 36T middle and SLX 26T inner. They are as smooth and quiet as i can imagine the 10 speed ones would be and shift perfectly.

rich_959
    Free Member

allmountain76 – that’s odd. Your chain is definitely the same as mine, but came with a snap pin while mine came with a normal ‘short’ pin.

Had the bike out yesterday and sure enough, it broke at the joined link after about 20 minutes. Sram powerlink now fitted and seems okay. KMC missing links on order as a back-up.

jwsurrey
    Free Member

Just for the record, split my Dynasis HGX today and found the Wippermann 10S link for Shimano 10S/Campag. 10S road chains was too tight.
    Ended up fitting a Wippermann 9sp. quick-link and it seems to be fine.
    Only observation is that the 9sp link had gone rusty in the packet, whereas my 10sp links have never rusted.

Teapot
    Free Member

Lots of different info here, hopefully this will clear things up a bit:

Both Shimano road and MTB 10-speed chains use the same 10-speed pins to join.

The main difference between Shimano road and MTB chains are the position and shapes of the plates due to the difference in chainring and cassette sizes when comparing road to MTB. The inner links on MTB chains are also solid for increased strength.

If a Shimano chain has a short pin in it, this is an OEM pin which is usually fitted in the factory using an air gun. I would recommend removing this pin and fitting a snap off pin as it is very difficult to get the short pin in the correct position using a regular chain tool.

Hope this helps.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘SRAM/Wipperman Powerlink on Shimano Dyna Sys 10 Speed?’ is closed to new replies.