Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • SRAM/Truvativ Chainset, Am I missing something?
  • dabaldie
    Free Member

Ok, I’ve just bought a new chain and cassette for my Epic and next months pay was going to support the purchase of new chainrings (2×10). The chainset that came on the bike is a SRAM S-1250. Ive recently replaced the PF30 bb with a new upgraded version following advice from the shop. In the long term I’m going to replace the lot with a converter and XT but thought I’d just swap the rings for now. I’ve trawled the web as the LBS said they are being screwed by their suppliers and the prices are high.. they werent wrong!!
    What am I missing, rings that seem to fit are nearly £90 for the pair!.. I could by a whole BB30 CSet X9 or even X0 for only a bit more.
    I’m guessing the stock Chainset is rubbish?… is it worth just replacing the lot, and if so, recommendations? X9/XX,X0 or something else?.. or am i looking in the wrong place for rings?

An no I’m not going 1×10.. I live in Devon! We have proper hills here!

Ta

benpinnick

Nothing wrong with the chainset – its not exciting but its perfectly good. Certain items like XT are in a price war, and so much cheaper than they probably should be, so buying rings only is not good value whichever way you do it. You could have the same debate about buying XT rings vs. a whole XT chainset.

The downside of the SRAM set up is the 3rd party options are limited so there is a lack of cheaper options there. Its probably cheaper to replace the whole thing.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

got the BCD for the rings?

timba
    Free Member

Try somebody like SJS Cycles, they have a good selection. Different brands so check with them first

orangeboy
    Free Member

A change of chainset will also cost you for a new bb as well
    Praxis works do chainrings for sram but not sure they’d be any cheaper

mikewsmith
    Free Member

A quick looks suggests it’s a fairly standard 104bcd so should but just about any chain rings

dabaldie
    Free Member

Why would I need a new bb? Can you tell I’ve never bought sram stuff before?

mikewsmith
    Free Member
    dabaldie
    Free Member

Ah, ok. Yes I knew that a Shimano cs needs different bb. Just thought you meant if I changed the 1250 to x9 or some thing id need new one. Thanks

gren
    Free Member

Got an X0 triple chainset on mine and nearly keeled over when I saw the cost of replacement rings – about £80 for a set. Picked up a full set of hardly used ones on ebay for less than £20 and have kept an eye out for cheapo ones ever since.

Changed to a double recently – brand new rings again were £20 from Pinkbike. Lots of people going to 1x makes them come up often.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

just checking? are these the 104/64 bcd ones or the 120? There are hundreds of normal rings that will fit.

M6TTF
    Free Member

Proper hills in the Peak District too – and lots of 1 x users. Which means plenty of used on the classifiesds

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘SRAM/Truvativ Chainset, Am I missing something?’ is closed to new replies.