• This topic has 26 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by mboy.
Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • SRAM XX1 vs X01 vs x1
  • mboy
    Free Member

Who’s owned, ridden, or got any thoughts on the ins and outs of each groupset? I’ve had brief ride on a bike with XX1, and a slightly longer ride on a bike with X1, couldn’t really detect much in terms of performance aside from the XX1 shifter feeling slightly nicer in use (as you’d expect comparing XTR with SLX).

So… If you were buying new now, what would you buy? I’m looking at a total mix and match setup (probably utilising my current Raceface cranks with a Praxis Narrow/Wide ring). My current thinking was along the lines of XX1 shifter, X01 rear mech, X1 cassette and chain, does that make sense?

munkyboy
    Free Member

Weight mostly. 300g roughly between X1 and xx1, mostly in the chainset though

njee20
    Free Member

I’d buy XX1, lightest, and not that much more expensive.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

You only get 28t with XX1, 30t lowest ring on XO

mboy
    Free Member

Weight mostly. 300g roughly between X1 and xx1, mostly in the chainset though

That’s kinda what I thought. And I’m likely to run my existing Raceface crank anyway, so it’s not important.

I’d buy XX1, lightest, and not that much more expensive.

The bike it’s going on is likely to come in over 12.5kg even if I throw money at it, and though X01 isn’t much cheaper than XX1, X1 is usefully cheaper.

You only get 28t with XX1, 30t lowest ring on XO

Likely to run a 32T anyway, the 28T doesn’t concern me.

mboy
    Free Member

Just found this which is pretty useful…

Pretty conclusive really that most of the weight difference is in the cranks as mentioned above…

Anybody noticed any difference in feel and performance the shifters and mechs as you might going from SLX to XT to XTR?

njee20
    Free Member

Using XTR shifter/mech saves money, and weight anyway, and IMO XTR feels nicer than XX1, so I’d imagine is nicer still than X01/X1. Realise that’s personal though.

andylc
    Free Member

But I you want 1×11 it’s Sram all the way at the moment due to the range. I changed to SRAM some years back and would say their shifting is much better and more reliable. Shimano has moved on since then though.

njee20
    Free Member

No, you can run XTR 11 speed with SRAM 11 speed. Apparently you can use XTR shifters with a SRAM mech, not tried that first hand. But I’ve got an XTR mech and shifter with XX1 everywhere else, which is both cheaper and lighter than SRAM. I thought XX1 shifters were worse than XX or 9 speed X0 grip shift personally.

StuMcGroo
    Free Member

Put a quarter of a litre less water in your Camelbak and save £180 😉

njee20
    Free Member

Camelbak?! Sounds heavy.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

anyone worked out what the difference between the xx1 and x01 cassettes are? never weighed mine, but apart from being black its identical, i have both

tomhoward

I’ve all 3, these are my findings.

I can’t tell the difference between x1 and xo1. Like, at all.
    Xx1 feels betterer than the other two, but if budget is of concern, or weight isn’t, go for x1, there really isn’t that much in it.

Had it have been available at the time, I’d have gone xtr mech and shifters with and xx1 cassette, don’t get me wrong, xx1 is brilliant, just a personal preference thing, but not enough that I’m going to replace all the sram stuff I already have.

taxi25
    Free Member

See the chart above.

mboy
    Free Member

It’s interesting what you say njee about the compatibility between SRAM 11spd and XTR. I’d have guessed they wouldn’t work together, but happy to be told otherwise.

From my own perspective, I prefer Shimano shifters. Just prefer the action, the dual release on the upshift, XTR feels premium to me (whereas SRAM feels a bit plasticky at times) and although not cheap, it’s cheaper than SRAM.

But… Having messed with a 40T ratio expander and 10spd XT/XTR mix for a while, a 364% gear range just isn’t quite enough for me, whereas I know a 420% range is.

Which causes me another dilemma… The whole XD driver thing pisses me off. I appreciate it’s necessary for a 10T cog, but it also means another expense (Easton, DT or Tune hubs/wheels are what I have available, and the freehubs are silly money for each!). Then the SRAM cassettes are just damned expensive too. If I could get away with 11-40 I’d probably have bought an XTR setup already!

So do I try a 42T bottom cog and a One Up Rad cage for now, and just pedal a bit faster on the descents? Or go sod it, sell my VGC XTR/XT to a mate who wants it, and buy a SRAM setup? Or the 3rd option of running XTR shifter and mech on a SRAM cassette to get the shifter I’d prefer with the ratio I want?

stompweaver

Proof that the new XTR will work on a SRAM 10-42 cassette.

XTR on SRAM 10-42

Go for the third option as it seems to be what you really want to do. For what it’s worth I have a full X01 setup on my bike and I love it, I wouldn’t go back to a modified 10 speed drivetrain now.

Stu661
    Free Member

I have ridden XO1 since February last year and to be fair it’s been a let down, my experience is that it constantly needed retuning time and time again and the noise was really annoying.

I now run a XO1 cassette and XTR mech and shifter and it works first class way better than the sram stuff, fitted it before Xmas and it’s not need to be tweaked yet.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

My experience different from Stu. I’m running it on two bikes. Not had to retune ever in over a year. Done loads of miles, enduros, multi day events. Currently don’t even wash them down after each ride, just more oil scrape off the big stuff and ride. Still running faultlessly.

I think choice depends on the gear ratio you need for your riding. At least with 1X it’s easy to change

njee20
    Free Member

My experience was like Stu’s – lots of tweaking needed to keep it running perfectly, and a bit vague even then!

It’s interesting what you say njee about the compatibility between SRAM 11spd and XTR. I’d have guessed they wouldn’t work together, but happy to be told otherwise.

I’ve not tried Shimano shifter on a SRAM mech, but adam_buckland of this parish has, and said it worked fine. As per that vid up there the mech/shifter work flawlessly with a 10-42 cassette!

mboy
    Free Member

Hmmmm… I’m 90% convinced now

The only thing I’m now thinking, is despite my preference for Shimano shifters, I’m also looking at some new SRAM guide brakes (have used them, very impressed) and a stealth Reverb on said bike, and the matchmaker setup does make everything a whole lot neater to be fair…

Time to wangle a deal one way or t’other methinks!

njee20
    Free Member

Problem solver clamps sort that don’t they?

rotten
    Free Member

If Shimano shifter works on a Sram derailleur, then surely using Sram shifter on Shimano derailleur would work?

njee20
    Free Member

Yep, that stands to reason. Not tried either first hand.

mjsmke

I had always used Shimano LX then XT. Recently got a new bike with Sram X1 and very impressed. Quiet and accurate.

mboy
    Free Member

Had a flick through WMTB earlier (a first in a long time!) and read Guy Kesteven’s thoughts on X1. Seemingly he believes there’s no performance difference between all 3 SRAM 11spd groupsets, only the weight.

Anyway… Just won a barely used XD drive freehub for my rear wheel on eBay for 1/4 the cost of a new one, and seeing as I’m only looking at buying a rear mech, shifter and cassette for now (use existing RF cranks and narrow wide ring and already have a PCX1 chain waiting), so the expense shouldn’t be too horrific

Also, I’ve worked out given feedback on various forums on cassette life, and my MTB milage over the last couple of years (I’m 70-80% roadie these days) and dual MTB ownership, I should be looking at 2-3 years out of a cassette as long as the chain is changed as soon as it reaches 0.75%. This makes the high cost of the cassettes far more palatable, and the lack of front shifter, chainrings and mech goes some way to offsetting the cost at least.

Still very tempted on XTR mech and shifter though!

njee20
    Free Member

Very wise, significantly cheaper and lighter, function aside!

mboy
    Free Member

Just ordered X1 mech and shifter for my new bike (which is weeks off anyway), and also for the GF’s. Have also ordered some Guide RS brakes too, and a stealth Reverb, so all will match up very nicely.

Just putting a carbon HT together too. Was going to put my existing XT/XTR 2×10 on it, but now wondering if I’d be happy enough with 420% range on that too…

What size chainring are you running njee?

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘SRAM XX1 vs X01 vs x1’ is closed to new replies.