• This topic has 14 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by mboy.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Sram x9 v Shimano xt
  • gamo
    Free Member

Been using x9 for a while now but getting fed up of poor durability and build quality on more recent stuff!In the last year three right hand shifters have stopped working(all less than 12 months old)and two new rear mechs wont set up correctly(wont drop into smallest cog as the low adjustment screw fowls on the mech body)!
    So is xt better? or is it just that nothing is made to last anymore!

rootes1

x.9 rear mechs do seem very poor quality

chakaping
    Free Member

Swapped from X9 to an SLX/XT mix and no regrets so far in terms of performance.

Time will tell on durability though.

chris_mbuk
    Free Member

i had that problem it goes as far as gear 8 and wont go into 9 and if it does the chain will be slack as hell lol bought a new rear sram x9 mech though as well as a front, just waiting on the front and cables and should be ok once on

hilldodger
    Free Member

just gone from xt to x9 and found the x9 rear mech was far more dependent on the 'B' screw adjustment than any shimano mech I've used.

Set it up according to the instructions (6mm chain -> sprocket gap)and works just fine now, changing is more of a 'thunk' than a 'snick' but I like it that way 🙂

MRanger156
    Free Member

My X9 rear mech is going strong after nearly 3 years – taken abuse, mud and several knocks.

timc
    Free Member

New mechs wont set up correctly? your a shit mechanic you mean…

chris_mbuk
    Free Member

my old one was kinda twisted after a few knocks here and there : reason for buying new one

walleater

X9 if you like a fine selection of cheese hanging off your bike.

rootes1

9 rear mech was far more dependent on the 'B' screw adjustment than any shimano mech I've used.

yes i found that – to get it to go into littlest sprocket from 8th

warpcow
    Free Member

I just had a look at mine and can't see any possible way the screw would foul the body. Could be to do with the b-screw like hilldodger said. I like mine but can't vouch for durability too much. Had them since the middle of winter till now with no problems though. They worked perfectly through -30, 4ft of snow and the ensuing mudbath that followed.

mendip
    Free Member

Sram seem to work better than Shimano according this video.

gamo
    Free Member

timc thats fighting talk! i phoned fishers who have said to return it.
    I have the 6mm gap, the low adjustment screw looks as though it is
    at the wrong angle in the mech body as it is fowling on the forward inner pivot not allowing the mech to drop far enough down!
    Frame has been checked for hanger alignment and also tried two other wheels
    all with the same result.
    Been using sram for about six years now and never had a problem until as i said above recently!

highclimber
    Free Member

That Vid is BS

mboy
    Free Member

All that vid suggests is that the SRAM rear mech has a much stronger spring in it than the Shimano one.

Which is something we all know already!

SRAM mechs are flimsy, I've seen so many break very easily. They also look and feel pretty low rent in comparison to Shimano stuff, and seem to wear out quicker too.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Sram x9 v Shimano xt’ is closed to new replies.