Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • sram x9 shifter service
  • soobalias
    Free Member

x9 shifter packed up just before last nights ride.
    often if mistreated the return spring of the mech isnt man enough to drop down the cassette, but yesterday it was fine, however once there the shifter refused to pull any cable.

a quick open reveales several thousand springy thingies.
    realising that i was fighting a losing battle against the clock, i took the full suss out in the mud.

if i remove the shifter and cable, is it fairly straight forward to clean and make good, or is this the time i should be looking to
    buy a new one
    return to shimano and buy XT shifter/mech and new cable
    use this as the perfect excuse to buy a SS clown bike.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

I’ve only ever attempted to fix a SRAM shifter and gave up after 2hrs of faffing and pissing around.

jimster01

Had a go at this once, there’s a cast cam / rocker that eventually breaks AND spares aren’t available.

Solution was a new shifter.

soobalias
    Free Member

despite what STW regularly tells me, this sample size (2) is sufficient.

im going shopping.

must not buy new bike, must not buy new bike

carlos
    Free Member

I too have had the rear shifter apart. It’s not fun trying to put it all back together, but it is genuinely satisfying when you finally get it all lined up, back together and working sweeet.

Next time though, I’ll just get a new shifter

andysredmini
    Free Member

Bin it. They are near on impossible to rebuild. I spent ages trying and succeeded only to find it worked no better than before. I will never buy another seam drivetrain after using awful x9

soobalias
    Free Member

i got as far as an XT 9speed shifter and mech
    then inner
    new box of outer (full run)
    then my credit card nerve failled.

off to the shed to swap the stuff off the full susser till payday.

couldnt find an X9 9speed trigger shifter and bored of fettling the mech to make it useable.

mindmap3
    Free Member

Tried it once and lost the will to live so bought another X9. Same thing happened again, sent back under warranty, broke again. Gave up and bought an X0 shifter which last well.

I then moved back to Shimano – shifters seem more reliable but I think the Sram ergonomics are loads better.

spicer
    Free Member

rebuilt mine the other week no problems. Not really any tips, its a bit confusing, just take it apart slowly and make sure you remember how it all goes back together! Take some pics during disassembley if required

MRanger156
    Free Member

I have a pair of old x9 9 speed shifters I no longer need. Both work fine, email if you’re interested.

MatthewrangeleyATgmailDOTcom

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘sram x9 shifter service’ is closed to new replies.