Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • SRAM X9 Jockey wheels help
  • solman
    Free Member

On my old SRAM X9 the jockey wheels keep seizing up every 3-6 months. I've had enough of replacing them to have them seize up again in 6 months. Short of getting a new shifter and rear mech are there any places I could get jockey wheels with better bearings than SRAM?

mk1fan
    Free Member

Do the jockey wheels not run on bushings not bearings?

How many times have you replaced them? The only issue I've had with them is them wearing out quickly.

May sound a silly question but are you doing too much maintenance?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Bottom pulley is cartrige bearing, top is a bush.

Even when they sieze solid, I can always free them up in a few minutes (remove, hold centre race with molegrips, rotate outer race with pliers) Then leave them to soak in some thinnish oil overnight, cover in grease, refit.
    🙂

solman
    Free Member

thanks PP I'll try that. Should hopefully get me through the winter 🙂

mk1fan
    Free Member

Not had any seize on me yet but I'll note just in case.

solman
    Free Member

mk1fan – I've got the old SRAM X.9 pre 2008, they've been know to have them seize up. I don't think the newer mech has the the same problem.

mk1fan
    Free Member

I think I have a mix of pre and post '08 ones. I'll keep an eye on them 😉

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Rather than 'keeping an eye on them' you'd be better taking them off, checking the bearing is OK, and smothering in grease before refitting.

A stitch in time etc…….. 🙂

Lucas
    Free Member

I have two sets, when they seize I take them off and leave in oil while I fit the set that had previously seized and left in oil (then freed up using a method similar to PP's above). Seems to work.

doof_doof
    Free Member

BBB do replacement sets that do away with the bush.

My X9s siezed a number of times last winter despite being lubed with Web grease. Top pully on both mech are getting a bit sloppy so I'm goign to give the BBB's a shot this winter.

Kit
    Free Member

Mine do the same, although this set just wore out amazingly. Not very impressed, and I don't have the facilities to be leaving stuff around soaking in oil. Next time it happens, I'm going back to Shimano.

(P.S. You can use X7 jockey wheels to save a bit of money if you're replacing them)

schrickvr6
    Free Member

I filed the little tab off the cage on mine to fit a normal top jockey, the position of the wheel changes slightly but it works fine.

CountZero

Just get the BBB ones, they'll fit X7/9/0, and are sealed bearings top and bottom. I've got a set, just in case, but my existing six year old set are still going strong. Stet: the top one was replaced a couple of years ago when a tooth broke off.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘SRAM X9 Jockey wheels help’ is closed to new replies.