Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • SRAM X7 shifter – sticking down change lever
  • dmorts

This is becoming quite frustrating as I can’t fix it. The down shift lever on my 2010 X7 9 speed shifters is sticking. It doesn’t return as it did when you shift down. This is the silver thumb lever.

Got new cables today in a hope that that was it. I’ve had the whole thing apart, cleaned it, oiled etc. and thought I’d fixed it several times. But as soon as it’s back on the bike and tensioned up it sticks again. Shifts fine, just doesn’t return.

Anyone any ideas?

martinxyz
    Free Member

which brand/type of inner cable did you fit?

dmorts

Shimano XTR inners and outers, although it was doing it with the original which I assume was SRAM

chico66
    Free Member

I’d something similar on one of my X9 shifters. Turned out the allen screw that goes up the middle was sticking on the bush that the lever rotates on as the allen screw goes through. Can’t actually remember what I did, probably gave it a rub with fine emery cloth to increase the clearance a bit. Been fine ever since. Not sure if the X7 is the same design.

Kudos if you’ve had it apart successfully. I thought I’d just open mine a little bit for a look-see, after all how hard could it be to reassemble?

The next three hours were quite interesting!

dmorts

Cheers, will look at that bush

The first time I took it apart it did take a bit of time to put it back together!

dmorts

Tried a few things tonight, still no joy. Seems slightly better but not by much.

With no load on the cable the lever returns fine. I think the design is flawed. There is nothing to hold the internals dead centre. The mechanism seems to just float inside the case. Therefore I think the loading of the cable pulls the mechanism off centre. This then causes
    the lever to rub and not return fully. That’s my theory at least…

Every online teardown/guide seems to relate to model that’s not mine. Seems SRAM changed the internal design every year.

dmorts

Found a fix online, it’s called Shimano

baznav73
    Free Member

As above sram shifters below XO are prone to this problem can’t believe they havn’t sorted the issue yet as it’s been an issue ever since they first started doing triggers.

patriotpro
    Free Member

I’ve had Sram shifters appart too many times, they can be a real PITA at times. Are you sure the spring is correctly set and not being knocked out when you are putting the case back together?

Have you looked on YouTube for tutorials?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘SRAM X7 shifter – sticking down change lever’ is closed to new replies.