Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • sram x5 woes
  • cookci
    Free Member

Hello.

I have a banshee x 2012 which came with the an x5 gearset.

When it gets cold i cant find the strengh to change gear on the front mech using my left hand.

It gettings very stiff.

I read online that its a common issue with the x5.

Do i need to replace the shifter and mech?

Also another issue with the rear mech is that it changes gear on its own lol. I have tried tweaking as much as i can but on some of the middle gears it just wont settle?

Please help!
    Cheers
    Christian

jaymoid

Ever changed the cable since the bike was new?

SRAM front mechs are a bit stiffer generally though. New cable and outer makes a remarkable difference. Remember you’ll need 1.1mm cable rather than the usual 1.2mm.

Changing gear “on its own” could be spring in the mech, stiff/rusty cable, needing a re index, shit in your cassette, or even a bent mech hanger.

I have a x5 and x7 setup, both seem fine.

fasternotfatter
    Free Member

Change your front mech to Shimano XT and the problem will go away. The shifters are pretty decent.

johnnystorm

The X5/X7 on my 2013 Spearfish has never shifted as well as the X5 does on my 2014 Fatty. Loads less chainslap too.

cookci
    Free Member

Can Shimano and SRAM be mixed?

jaymoid

I think the actuation ratios are different, so you cant use a sram shifter with a shimano mech. I’d fix the low hanging fruit first before I changed the whole mech or shifter.

jamj1974

Mixing is fine for the front shifter and mech.

cookci
    Free Member

On another note i had been looking at different shifters and noticed some of the sram x9 and x0 have a indiator windows and some dont. Are these different year shifters and are the indicators worth having as i quite like the idea.

I understand its not going to help the stiffness but sometimes i find myself looking down to check what gear im in

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘sram x5 woes’ is closed to new replies.