Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • SRAM X5 Shifter with SLX Shadow+ mech question
  • Burts
    Free Member

When my old SRAM X7 mech died, I optimistically bought a 10speed SLX Shadow+ clutch mech to go with my old 9speed SRAM X5 shifter so that I could try this:

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/9-speed-sram-shifter-with-a-shimano-10-speed-clutch-rear-mech-will-it-work

Last night I got as far as fitting the mech & gear cable but got interrupted before I could fit the chain. I noticed that the mech is jumping 2 gears at a time, only 5 clicks on the shifter from top to bottom, which I find just a little concerning! So is the X5 shifter incompatible with this mod or will something magically change when I fit the chain?

Suggsey
    Free Member

As far as I understood SRAM rear indexing is 1:1 shimano is not!, so again as far as I understand they are not compatible!
    And having read that thread what a bleeding faff, just buy the relevant shifter instead and cut all the fancying around!

PeterStarkiss
    Free Member

Have you fitted the 6mm spacer shown on the linked thread ? This alters the pull ratio slightly so it works.
    What you describe sounds way off however.
    I have the shimano clutch 10 speed mech with an x7 shifter and it indexes perfectly.

Only thing I would mention is the clutch makes the lever a bit harder to push.

PeterStarkiss
    Free Member

Is it a sram attack shifter by any chance ? They have a 2:1 ratio, you are looking for 1:1.
    That would explain the double shift.

Burts
    Free Member

Its definitely marked as “X5” but I’ll check later if its got any other markings. The spacers are going on next, but I expect that they will only vary the pull very slightly.

Thanks

Northwind

An X5 9-speed should be compatible. But it sounds like something’s not right.

I should have a spare machined spacer somewhere in the garage, if you fancy trying it? It’s been on an X9/SLX setup

tony07
    Free Member

You need the spacer. Shimano 10 speed is 1.25:1 so won’t work without it.

As for the suggestion to buy a new shifter, he then needs a new cassette and chain. Not everyone can afford to shell out on a full new drivetrain at once

Burts
    Free Member

Resurrecting this from last week as I’ve now had chance to check out the problem in more detail.

Looks like my initial problem was my own user-error with a little bit of mad panic thrown in. On a second look, I found that the high/low limit screws were wound in completely to the extent that a few of the gears were unavailable. So I am getting the full range of gears after all. Its definitely a regular X5 shifter, not the Attack version.

I was really hoping to not overhaul the whole drive-train just yet. A friend has a Deore 10sp shifter I can try out with my 10sp SLX mech, but I’m guessing that won’t work too well with a 9sp cassette? Or will it shift ok up to the lowest gear and then just develop some slack in the cable where the 10th gear is missing?

Northwind – A very generous offer if its still available?

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

Why not just buy a 9 speed Sram rear mech ?

VanHalen

Why not run 6mm of washers on the 10sp mech cable clamp?

Burts
    Free Member

Why not run 6mm of washers on the 10sp mech cable clamp?

Tried it, the cable tension just spins the washers around. The spacer has to fit on the mech arm so that it cannot spin.

Why not just buy a 9 speed Sram rear mech ?

I need a clutch mech to stop my chain dropping on just about every descent. I’ve been using a Stinger chainguide for this until now but it doesn’t fit with my RF crankset very well and would like to take it off.

And yes, I’m trying to do this on the cheap by not replacing the whole drive train. With any luck I only need this bike to last another few months and I’ll be selling it on for something else.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘SRAM X5 Shifter with SLX Shadow+ mech question’ is closed to new replies.