Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • SRAM X1 11speed Cassette stuck on hope XD freehub
  • oscillatewildly
    Free Member

I torqued it up last week, to around 45nm I think it’s only suppose to be around 40nm now for the life of me and my old man we couldn’t get it off today

Last week it was a struggle, but it had been on for months untouched, this week given I’d lubed all the splines last week etc on the freehub I assumed it would be easier!

Tried to spray some penetrating oil, tried using a piece of metal tube for extra leverage, chain whip was useless as it kept slipping the more power and now seemingly I have no knuckles!!

So infuriating a simple job turns into a nightmare

So has any one any bright ideas?

I’ve seen those Pedro vice whips which look mint albeit pricey and get a new socket so it sits in firmly as my current one seems impossible to keep the tool in the splines

Grrrrrrrrrrrr

blairc70
    Free Member

Got one of these http://www.parktool.com/product/cassette-lockring-tool-with-12mm-guide-pin-fr-5gt and a heavy duty park tool chain whip.

I’f you haven’t greased it before install, could be seized.

I think others have sent back to hope and they have got them apart.

If your local to Leeds, happily try help out?

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

Cheers Blair, does that sit better in then I do have a 12mm rear end too

I need a good wrench like in the video to that 12mm tool, sadly the chain whip was just wrecking my
    Knuckles so couldn’t grip it enough by the end

Sadly not near Leeds but appreciate the offer bud

Ps I greased it just a week ago before install, but I think I torqued it to 45 nm instead of 40 nm

mactheknife

Not what you want to hear OW but I had mine completely sieze onto the freehub. When I tried to remove it i stripped the inside of the cassette so now they are one. Pain in the arse but it seems to be a recurring theme according to my LBS.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

I’ve had every SRAM 11 speed cassette under the sun and never had an issue, xx1 , x01 , X1 etc and I’ve never struggled get it off, this ones been on since March and been off a few times never a problem, then last week I took it off which was a struggle but still came off, greased and cleaned everything then made sure I greased the splines on the freehub

Roll on one week exactly and it now won’t budge

I’ll have take it shop Tomoz see if they can do anything, luckily the teeth are still fine after a good whacking session today

I’m sure if I could grip it all better if have got it off, those Pedros visewhips and a good solid wrench I’d get it off

dingleberry
    Free Member

Make sure you pull the end cap off the hub so the cassette tool sits in the splines properly. Shouldn’t need anything particularly special.

And I can confirm the Pedros whips are brilliant – I have one – no chance of it slipping!

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

Well, shop got it off in about 5 seconds flat, using much better tools than I had, so Ive purchased a wrench specific to the job with built in cassette tool, technique was also much better too, although ive never had a problem in the past

chakaping
    Free Member

What tool did you get?

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

just a cheapy bbb cassette tool with the spline thing built in

I was using a separate tool plugged onto the end of my torque wrench, which moves ridiculously when cranked down, this cheapo bbb one will stay firmly in place as it has no moving parts

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

ps cheers PP, although ive never had an issue before ill be backing off the torque for the future

put it all back together now at around 30nm, still plenty tight id imagine, as it still took a good yank to get off, but tested 5 times in a row just to check I could continuously get it off and it worked every time around 30nm

as I said this is all with loose fitting tools, and a crappy chain whip, so when new parts turn up with no movement it should easily come off

chakaping
    Free Member

just a cheapy bbb cassette tool with the spline thing built in

Cheers, decided I’d probably need a better cassette tool after fitting my first Sram 11sp one the other day.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

no probs, it was 9,99 posted off ebay, its the same as the one on CRC but no postage costs, and that gets decent reviews, been able to crank down on it with no moving parts is half the battle for me so should be easier

I like the look of that pedros vicewhip too, but its expensive at 50 quid

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘SRAM X1 11speed Cassette stuck on hope XD freehub’ is closed to new replies.