Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • SRAM X01 New Chain Noisy. arrrhhhggggggg
  • Mike_T

Probably a question asked before.

I’ve just had to replace a chain on an SRAM X01 1×11 chainset at only 870km, 540mls. Is anyone else experiencing this?
    The other issue is the new chain is noisy under load, it sounds like it’s coming from the chain ring, again I suspect this is down to wear.

Is this normal guys?

I’m running a 32t SRAM ring at the moment, I spend most of my time in the lower end of the gearing on the cassette, 24t to 42t, I don’t have a problem pushing these gears, but could this be the issue of premature chain and possible ring wear? The chain line is poor at this end of the cassettes so should I swap out for 30t chain ring to bring this sweat spot down the cassette thus improve chain line and hopefully wear?

So my next question, SRAM rings are like cheese anyone used an aftermarket, HOPE, Blackspire, Woolf Tooth?

What chains you guys using? btw I’ve just swap a KMC X11E to a KMC X11EL.

This stuff is so expensive I wouldn’t have expected other than swapping a chain twice a year to have any issues. Rding in the penines and peaks probably doesnt help.

Adam@BikeWorks
    Free Member

You’re right, the noise is almost certainly coming from a worn chainring.
    It’s the unfortunate side of 1x, that you go through rings much faster.
    I’ve started using Gamut direct mount rings now as they’re a good bit cheaper than Sram, seem to last longer, and are easier to clean!

As an aside I’ve found KMC chains to be generally noisier on 1x setups than Sram, but that’s purely anecdotal – YMMV.

parkstar
    Free Member

replace the chainring with the steel x-sync from sram. sounds like you could go down to a 30 tooth anyway, and they are about 3 quid on crc at the moment and last a lot longer

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Northwind

That’d be pretty fast wear tbh, I’d usually expect to get a couple of chains out of even a low quality narrow/wide ring (having said that, I’m fairly oblivious to noise- but a worn narrow/wide usually starts dropping chains too)

Is it definitely the front? The sram hollow cassettes are noisier than most, I think just because there’s so little metal in them, they resonate and ping a bit more.

Adam@BikeWorks
    Free Member

It’ll be the front. It’s a known issue on Sram chainrings. They’ll still hold the chain fine, but as soon as you go far from a straight chainline it’s grindy noise time.

Mike_T

Thanks for responding guys.

Sounds about right, becomes noisy the further up the cassette as you stretch the chainline out more and more, specially on the 42t.

So its looking like 30t steel chain ring.

I’ll take a look at the gammut rings, looking like 30t SRAM Steel direct mount are rare as rocking horse.

Internal gear box’s cant come quick enough.

btw I have a riding buddy, fat bike, we can ignore that fact, who’s got 3000mls from an SRAM 1×11/Raceface ring set up, but he did go down a ring size which probably moved his sweet spot done the block!!!!!!!!!

Adam@BikeWorks
    Free Member

Is it a direct mount ring or a 4 bolt one?
    X Sync 94 BCD 4 bolt 30T rings are in stock at fishers. Any LBS should be able to get you one.

Mike_T

Update on this bloody chain noise.

So i was’nt having it that my fornt chain ring was caput after 700Km, so made one last attmept at resolving the noise before purchasing another ring.

The bike came new with a KMC x11-93, i swapped this out for a KMC x11-EL, then all the noise strated, so I took a punt and replace with a new x11-93, and gues what after 10mins silence. result £18 rather than £60
    So the only thing i can deduce from this is that SRAM is sensitive to chain type, may be it needs to be a full plate link.

Who Knows!, either way the noise has gone and i’ll be buying cheapo KMC chains from no on.

benpinnick

Its not so much SRAM is sensitive, just the KMC 11 speed chains are noisy and don’t last that well.

All that said, if you have the pockets for it, the new Eagle 12 speed chainring is totally silent even in the worst crud.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘SRAM X01 New Chain Noisy. arrrhhhggggggg’ is closed to new replies.