Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • SRAM X01 Cassette Removal
  • jaylaz73

Well it looks like I’m going to have to replace the cassette on my bike, the big 42t cog slips with a new chain unfortunately. Its an 11 speed. Is the cassette removed in the normal way just using a chain whip? Thanks, Jay

njee20
    Free Member

Yep.

jaylaz73

Thanks njee20, will get one ordered. Why do they have to be so expensive and why do they make the big cog out of aluminium? All other cogs are fine but I need the big one for the big hills!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    frood
    Free Member

there’s a french company that makes spare 42t sprockets for the x01/xx1 cassette

njee20
    Free Member

Yes, Ari[/Url] do one for €90. They’re Italian, so perhaps there’s a different one too…

c_klein87

don’t wolf tooth make them as well?

jaylaz73

Does the 42t cog come away from the main cassette ok?

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

if your wearing out 42 ring quickly I suggest dropping to 30 or 28t up front. It will mean you spend less time on the 42 and get a better chain line reducing wear. On 4th chain and cassette is still good to go.

jaylaz73

I ride with a 30 up front but the hills are big in the lakes here. The cassette has been on two years but I probably left it too long to change the chain, changed between 0.5 and 0.75. I see the Ari cogs, they look a good idea, anybody used one?

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

yup thought Id mention it, I change at 0.8 – 0.9 new one measures 0.5 on my chain device

jaylaz73

I do tend to grind up hills a lot in the big ring! Does anywhere stock these Ari rings or do you have to order direct from Italy?

dingleberry
    Free Member

The GX cassette is all steel…

frogstomp

I ordered direct from Wolftooth – $90 (~£60) posted and it came within the week.

You just gently lever the 42T off and press on the new one (same as 10-speed range extenders).

jaylaz73

Does it work well Frogstomp?

frogstomp

Does it work well Frogstomp?[/url]

Yup, seems to work fine with no slippage any more. Pretty much the same weight as the sprocket it replaces too I think.

jaylaz73

Just ordered a Wolftooth 42t cog direct from USA, £72 in total with 2 to 4 day DHL international delivery. Hope it works! Will post a review after the weekends riding.

njee20
    Free Member

I’d echo comments about your chainring size though. I use the 42 maybe once a ride at most. If I was spending more time in it I’d consider downsizing to a 28 (in your case).

jaylaz73

Well, the WolfTooth 42t cog works a treat, easy to install and now my bike feels like new again. Ordered the cog on the Monday and it had arrived and was fitted by the Wednesday afternoon. Hopefully, by the time I need a new cassette, the price will have dropped to a more reasonable level.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘SRAM X01 Cassette Removal’ is closed to new replies.