Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • SRAM wheels / DT star ratchet inter-compatibility
  • Superficial
    Free Member

I need a quick answer for this if possible because I want to buy this tonight ideally.

I have a SRAM Rail wheelset (came OEM with new bike). This apparently uses DT Swiss internals, and from what I can see, the star ratchet mechanism in my hub looks identical to the DT ones. Same machining, same number of teeth etc.

Within 2 miles of riding (from brand new!) genuinely JRA albeit cranking up a hill, I’ve somehow damaged the cocking ratchet. It’s now burred and doesn’t engage at all – my new bike is unrideable and because it’s 650b / XD driver I don’t have a spare wheel 😥

So will this fit?
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/dt-swiss-hub-service-kit-ratchet-system/rp-prod81210?gs=1&gclid=CjwKEAjwvPepBRCoqo37teOD1XsSJAC7v6WQw8OTfE6xJEOj86EZYPqDqydR_4u5x8Tzlqk7mvo-OhoC22_w_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds#

Northwind

If it’s genuinely DT240 internals, like with specialized, then it’s totally interchangable. Having said that if it’s genuinely DT internals it probably wouldn’t have failed after 2 miles.

I think I’ve got a set of star ratchets somewhere if you want to try them?

boxxer7
    Free Member

Right not sure if this will help but, my Spectral came with Roam 50 wheels which use the DT ratchet but it had the slow engagement ratchets in, I happened to have a roval wheel sat in the shed with the quick set of ratchets in, they swapped straight over so I can’t see it being a problem.

granny_ring

Warranty job surely?

Superficial
    Free Member

Warranty job surely?

Indeed. Except a) The bike came from a well-known German retailer who b) haven’t responded to my email yet and c) I want to ride this weekend.

Thanks Boxxer – that was basically what I wanted to find out. I’ve ordered the ratchet rings from CRC so will see if they work. Fingers crossed for second time lucky. I suppose if they get back to me with a warranty solution this week then I could always send them back to CRC.

Is there supposed to be some sort of bed-in procedure for the DT / SRAM / Roval hubs? I wonder if a few miles of freewheeling or something would help the two ratchets to make good friends before stressing them too much. I wish I’d never strayed from solid, reliable Hope hubs 🙁

orangeboy
    Free Member

Have you got any pics of the damage ?

Work wise hope cause is far more problems the Dt star ratchet based hubs
    It does sound like you have been very unlucky

Superficial
    Free Member

I don’t have any pictures. The burrs are tiny and would be very difficult to capture on camera without a macro lens (I don’t have one). I’ll try and get some pictures though. But at any rate I can see the burrs – and of course the hub is skipping. In fact it barely bites at all, it engages briefly but I can force the freehub to skip using my hand on the cassette, never mind the mechanical advantage of cranks and body weight.

I haven’t had a problem in 10+ years of Hope hub ownership. Every other hub I’ve owned has been a disappointment with the exception of Chris King. I’ve owned star ratchet hubs previously and they let me down too, but I thought since the DTs are well-reviewed that I would give the SRAM ones a try. Wish I hadn’t bothered.

leeroybrown
    Free Member

i have a used set if you want them ?

Superficial
    Free Member

So, YES is the answer to my question. The DT replacement star ratchets do fit my SRAM hub.

Thanks for the offer Leeroy but I wanted a quick resolution so I ordered the set from Chain Reaction. Fitted them last night and all seems fine. Went for a ride and no issues with skipping etc.

Here are the old ones. As you can see, there’s no major damage but you can just about see some of the corners are not as straight as they should be.

So fingers crossed that’s all it needs. Time will tell whether I will ever trust DT hubs though.

njee20
    Free Member

Can’t believe you’ve actually damaged those in that time. I reckon more likely the grease on the springs was too thick or
    Something.

Pauly

Mine have been flawless in 18 months of all weather riding. All I have done is given the ratchets a quick clean and regrease in that time. My understanding is the SRAM wheels use the DT Swiss star ratchet system as well as proper UST from Mavic.

Superficial
    Free Member

Can’t believe you’ve actually damaged those in that time. I reckon more likely the grease on the springs was too thick or something.

Yeah I’m sure you’re right but as soon as the ratchet gets minor damage, it skips a lot causing more and more damage which is what happened I think. It looked very lightly greased when I opened it up so if anything I reckon it was under-greased to start with.

Considering how everyone mentions about problems if the grease is too thick, I was surprised that the official DT grease (comes with the ratchet / service kit) is actually pretty heavy.

Rorschach
    Free Member

It’s heavy but not sticky (almost waxy),which is what causes the issues.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘SRAM wheels / DT star ratchet inter-compatibility’ is closed to new replies.