Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • SRAM V Shimano
  • vancoughcough
    Free Member

My personal opinion is that the SRAM rear shifts better than the Shimano. I tried a new Shimano LX and a new SRAM 990 back to back and the SRAM was the better shifting cassette. I haven’t trusted an SRAM chain in years though… prefer Connex to everyone bar Rohloff for chains.

SBrock
    Free Member

LX is not really on a par with a 990, XTR is!

vancoughcough
    Free Member

Hmm, well I’ve had loads of XT’s, though cannot compare those experiences for they were also with XT rear mechs. Just saying, back to back the LX was inferrior from a shifting point of view to the 990 when used with an X9 rear mech. I doubt there’s a whole lot of shifting differences between the old (but it was new) LX M580 and an XT. It’s mostly all drilling and an alloy carrier differences there isn’t it?

seosamh77
    Free Member

is it not?

x7 = LX
    x9 = XT
    x0 = XTR

don’t know, hence the question, but that’s what i always assumed…

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Why should anyone care what your opinion is?

atlaz
    Free Member

Fair question, but why should anyone care about the questions you pose?

ianpinder
    Free Member

Right, as above, 990 is xtr not lx, also, who the **** gives a shit…. some people prefer shimano some prefer sram

vancoughcough
    Free Member

Ah bless, there’s blokes in this thread that almost have testicles.

Angry mob, angry mob, angry mob, be nasty to people, be a ****, go home to mummy, pretend I’m hard, pretend I’m clever, pretend I like MUSE, angry mob.

GW
    Free Member

Shimano cassette sprockets don’t bend or snap completely anywhere near as frequently as SRAM for me.

Twin
    Free Member

Angry mob, angry mob, angry mob, be nasty to people, be a ****, go home to mummy, pretend I’m hard, pretend I’m clever, pretend I like MUSE, angry mob.

🙄

flow
    Free Member

Shimano, because I said so.

ilovemygears
    Free Member

shiamno should be law…. any one that dont like shimano should be sent to prison for ever

donsimon
    Free Member

any one that dont like shimano should be sent to prison for ever

Woohoo! I’m going to Strangeways, what tyres for…….?

van cough cough – Member

Ah bless, there’s blokes in this thread that almost have testicles.

Who was the other kid that did this? Started a trolling thread and then got abusive.

trailflow
    Free Member

SRAMANO FTW

jimw
    Free Member

😉 the difference is that whilst you think you are right about this, I know I am right

honourablegeorge

Am I the only one who’s not that fussed on Shimano/SRAM either way?

I’ll have whatever’s fairly light and on special offer, thanks.

DaveyJohnston
    Free Member

Microshift is where it’s at.
    The gruppo is called Arsis.
    No need to say more.

donsimon
    Free Member

Ask Leopard, I think they won’t be too positive about Shimano…

vancoughcough
    Free Member

I mean, it’s not as if any of you can ride for shiznit.

njee20
    Free Member

You cant really draw direct comparisons between entire groupware between manufacturers, as SRAM have a very odd pricing structure. A PG990 cassette is heavier and more expensive than XT, but then an XG999 is double the price of XTR (£300) and theres nothing in between.

XX is near double the price of XTR and very marginally lighter. But to compare X.0 to XT is daft. But then XTR is the flagship Shimano group, and functionally is very similar to XX, so where does that really fit in etc.

Personally having had XX last year and XTR this year I prefer the XTR, and by the time you fit ti hardware etc (than XX comes with) it weighs less, particularly if you exclude the extortionate cassette!

vancoughcough
    Free Member

I am not a mechanical clutz, I’ve been swapping out parts since my first bike, a secondhand Raleigh Chopper Original Tall version (1970) and a Raleigh Ultra Burner back in 1980 and 1983 respectively. I fitted my first crank – a Sugino spider – to the Tough Burner when I was 14. I dreamt of owning a Kawahara ET. Apparently Speilberg requested the ET red/white colourway? I digress.

I am not anti-Shimano, and it always seemed inconcievable that SRAM would beat Shimano when it comes to clusters (cassettes). However, I have been pleased with the SRAM 990. I have run loads of XT’s and have 3 I think in various disorderly parts bins around the house.

It is possible I was thinking, that maybe in the same way the Avid rotor issue I had (frequent warping of disc and subsequent scuffing) was totally cured with my new Hope Hooops. Thus maybe the unstiffness of the Shimano hub also caused the Shimano cassette to be inprecise. Each cassette was on a different rear wheel. I guess I have answered my own question, and my test was void. It’s amazing what difference a well built wheel makes.

vancoughcough
    Free Member

Is ABI the company behind Enduro?

Jus’ wondering…

Quite like the idea of silicone outer seals on the Enduro.. are they silicone and a better seal? Also have to weigh up Enduro’s chromium steel balls to the stainless steel of Hope INA…

Amazed they didn’t choose a standard bearing size… and anything that involves frequent removal of a bottom bracket cup is evil poo.

vancoughcough
    Free Member

Is ABI the company behind Enduro?

Jus’ wondering…

Quite like the idea of silicone outer seals on the Enduro. unless I have got confused somewhere.. are they silicone and a better seal? Also have to weigh up Enduro’s chromium steel balls to the probably better (for corrosion resistance) stainless steel of Hope INA…

Amazed they didn’t choose a standard bearing size… and anything that involves frequent removal of a bottom bracket cup is evil poo.

kayak23

Shimano is easier to pronounce, but having said that, I run Sram on all my bicycles.

unovolo
    Free Member

Shimram on my bike,
    XO Twist shift,X7(soon to be X0)rearmech,LX front Mech,Random Shimano cassette,Sram 990 Chain, and just to throw in a bit more randomness Middleburn Cranks and Rings.

Not bothered whether its Shimano or Sram as long as it works.

slimjim78
    Free Member

SHIRAMO FTW!

vancoughcough
    Free Member

Oops! I replied to the wrong post above. Please let this crappy post drop.

vancoughcough
    Free Member

Would 44/36/22 be wierd with a 11-32?

vancoughcough
    Free Member

I have Shimano SLX cranks on both bikes with 44/32/22 and 11-32 SRAM 990 cassettes (I really rate them). I use Shimano XT front mechs on both bikes (never tried SRAM), but after a long run with Shimano shifters and rear mechs, I have been happy with SRAM X9 shifters and X9 rear on both bikes also. I use Middleburn cable oilers on both bikes also because I have used them in the past and think they are great.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘SRAM V Shimano’ is closed to new replies.