Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • SRAM to Shimano Swap
  • martib

So for the second year in a row, I have needed to replace a part of my SRAM drivetrain in the run up to Christmas and found that SRAM parts seem to be few and far between. In fact buying from Germany was about the only option. Last year I phoned my LBS and they couldn’t even source a part.
    So short of keeping a complete set of spares lying around, I have considered replacing my 2×10 predominantly X7 drivetrain with Shimano XT 2×10. So I have a couple of questions 😯

I know you can’t mix shifters & derailleurs, are there any other gotcha’s that I might encounter?

How does XT compare these days with X7 in the reliability stakes, wear etc?

Why do SRAM parts seem so difficult to come by in the UK, is it just Shimano are better or have they got such a grip in the UK?

Thanks

atlaz
    Free Member

Looking on the big websites there’s no shortage of SRAM but perhaps your particular models have been superseded?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Can’t say I’ve ever struggled to find SRAM bits, having said that most of the time I’d opt for Shimano unless there was a significant price difference, and almost always buy online.

Chains and cassettes are interchangeable (assuming that’s what your changing each year), rear mechs and shifters need to match brands and speeds but not level (so X5 works with X7, but not XX1, SLX works with Deore, but not the new XTR), front mech and shifter don’t need to match in any way.

My experience is Shimano 10s chains last longest. Shimano rear mechs are more robust. And the newer (10speed onward) shimano shifters are on a par with the SRAM ones ergonomically. IIRC Shimano have a patent on the alignment of shifting ramps on cassettes which in theory makes multiple shifts smoother too, but except in the bone dry you’d not notice.

eshershore
    Free Member

XT mechs are great, especially modern shadow + clutch mechs

always found my own X7 mechs quickly developed wobble / slop in the main pivot, leading to unstable indexing

for chains I always use KMC unless a bike comes with Shimano

mattsccm
    Free Member

Sell me your front mech!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘SRAM to Shimano Swap’ is closed to new replies.