Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • SRAM Shifter and Deore Front Derailleur not working properly
  • kermit4king
    Free Member

Hi all, hoping someone can help.

I have a 2016 Mondraker Foxy 2×10 with SRAM GX shifters and a shimano deore front derailleur and I cannot get it to set up correctly.

The issue is if i set it up in 1st gear (small c-ring and biggest sprocket) so the derailleur is just clear of the chain when i then shift into 20th (biggest c-ring and smallest sprocket) the cage of the front D is pushing the chain over towards the frame a lot. It simply appears that the cable doesn’t pull the derailleur far enough.

The limit screw isn’t preventing it swinging out further. I cannot seems to fix it.

Both derailleurs are shifting fine but it appears i can’t set it up so that gears 1, 2, 19 and 20 run without minor chain rubbing. I can get it clear at one end but then the other is seriously bad.

It’s a direct mount top pull derailleur. I have tried moving it up and down etc but doesn’t help. Have no idea what else to do (other than give myself a good excuse to but a new set of XT shifters :D)

It’s so frustrating has anyone had the same issue or got any advice?

Cheers

Cam

benpinnick

How is the cable routed into the bolt. That makes a difference if you’ve done it wrong. Specifically it needs to be routed such that it comes right around the outside of the bolt

coatesy
    Free Member

Welcome to my world (Mechanic at Mondraker dealership). You’re spot on thinking it’s a mis-match of components that’s causing the problem, and that the Sram 2x shifter doesn’t pull quite enough cable, but they can be made to work. I’d suggest you don’t get too hung up on getting all of your clearances spot on at the workstand, as it all changes when the suspension is loaded, and a decent upshift can degenerate into a grinding, grating non-event once weighted. It’s been a while since i’ve been unfortunate enough to deal with one, but from (poor) memory, set your inner limit screw, and cable tension, so the chain is virtually rubbing in 1st, and then perform your minor tweaks on a test ride.(And yes, if I owned one, i’d also put an XT shifter on it.)

kermit4king
    Free Member

THanks for advice.

Yeah routing is correct and all the cables are newish and in good nick so no issues there.

I have tweaked and tweaked but it’s still irritating me. I think for the quicker cheaper fix I will grab a SRAM derailleur and leave the rest as is.

I don’t get why when the bike is specced with avid brakes sram shifters, sram rear derailleur and sram cassette and chain they would then put a shimano front mech on.

Oh well thanks again for help.

Cam

coatesy
    Free Member

Personally,and it’s entirely up to you, i’d go with a Shimano shifter, as I find Sram mech’s to be pretty crap with shifting too.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘SRAM Shifter and Deore Front Derailleur not working properly’ is closed to new replies.