Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • SRAM S1400 – Drive side is loose, non drive side is fine….
  • cyclepathologist
    Free Member

..so, can I just nip the drive side up with an allen key and ride it? It’s a new bike and after the 1st 20 mile ride, the chainset is wobbly.
    If so, what size allen key will I need to buy? Internet searches are not helping and I’ll have to gently pedal the bike to B&Q in the morning and then carry on to work.
    The non drive side crank arm is fine.
    Thanks

rootes1

if it is new, call the shop before you damage it…

drive side is fixed to the axle, only the non-drive side fits with a bolt on the axlesplines..

try the non-drive side bolt

cyclepathologist
    Free Member

It was bought mail order so sending it back is only an option if something drastic occurs.
    Both the drive side and the non drive side crank centres have an Allen key bolt fitting that are independent of each other.
    I’ve managed to bodge an ‘almost big enough’ allen key to tighten it up quite tight which appears to have fixed it. I’ll try and identify what size key I need in the morning at B&Q and give it a proper tighten up.
    It’s not a bb or chainset I’ve ever seen before.

orangeboy
    Free Member

Lots of newer SRAM chainsets have the axle fixed to the left hand arm , and the splines on the drive side.

10mm hex and 48-54 nm I think

Quick Google shows s1400 is not like the new ones just ignore me

toppers3933
    Free Member

How old is it? I thought the s1400 was gxp bottom bracket so there should only be an 8mm Allen key bolt o. The non drive side.

Is it this
    http://www.sram.com/sram/mountain/products/sram-s1400-2×10

orangeboy
    Free Member

Seems I was on the right track after all

cyclepathologist
    Free Member

Thank you! So I need a 10mm hex / Allen key and I need to tighten the drive side ‘very tight’?

toppers3933
    Free Member

Bit more complicated than that.

cyclepathologist
    Free Member

Thank you very much. My panic is now over.

toppers3933
    Free Member

I would suggest that you also need to adjust the preload adjuster on the non drive side. As per the purple writing.

cyclepathologist
    Free Member

A good point. Thank you again

rootes1

well would you look at that more standards – so looks like the BB30 is a 3 piece whereas the the GXP is a 2 piece!

either way get it tightened up!

cyclepathologist
    Free Member

All done. Checked the non drive side was more than finger tight, got a 10mm Hex from B&Q (I had to buy a full set of hex wrenches but they were less than £10) and tightened it up good and tight.
    All seems to be fixed. Thanks again for the great help.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘SRAM S1400 – Drive side is loose, non drive side is fine….’ is closed to new replies.