Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • SRAM Roam 40 rear wheel – cassette and freehub has just fallen off
  • DickBarton

Putting bike back in the car tonight, drive off and a clunk is heard…when I check, the freehub and cassette have fallen off the rear wheel. Cassette and freehub are still firmly attached to each other, but it looks like the freehub has just slipped off.

I can fit it back on, but it seems to be pulling off without any effort.

Looked over the SRAM guide and I can’t see anything about this happening – the freehub apparently slides on and seats itself – which it does, but really doesn’t seem to be soid (as I can remove the freehub/cassette again.

SRAM XD freehub 11-speed thing on a SRAM Roam 40 rear wheel.

Anyone got any advice please on how to fix it? Or is it fixed already?

Superficial
    Free Member

I’ve got rail 50 wheels which are based on DT hubs. I’m not sure whether the roams are similar (think it depends which model year you have). Anyway, on mine the freehub falls off quite easily which is often annoying. There is a seal which holds it all together but it’s not amazingly strong. Just make sure you don’t lose any bits and /or put dirty internals back in, and try to remember not to put the wheels cassette side down if they’re off the bike.

DickBarton

So it is meant to be that ‘weak’? 2015 model. I’ll double check the seal hasn’t fallen off as the freehub/cassette seems to slip off with too much ease.

downhilldave

Yeh,Rail 50’s here and the free hub and cassette can drop off. Aware of it so I take care with the wheel is out

andylc
    Free Member

I think the freehub and cassette come off easily in all XD freehubs don’t they?

markshires
    Free Member

Is it possible to convert them to a shamans freehub?

otsdr
    Free Member

Doesn’t really have anything to do with the freehub type, but rather with the hub construction. Most of the freehubs are held in place by way of a plastic seal and/or the endcap.

In this case probably the seal (black bit immediately to the left of the freehub) needs to be re-seated, which cannot be done without removing the cassette.

DickBarton

Will remove cassette and see if owing needs reseated. Standard cassette remover?

leftyboy
    Free Member

My Roam 40s haven’t got the same issue but I think it’s just the seal not being engaged as others have said, I think the cassette is secured via either an allen key or a torx key that unlocks via the centre of the cassette. Sounds odd when I write it down so I might have dreamt that!

otsdr
    Free Member

@Dick: yes, a standard cassette remover should be used. Take care to engage the teeth completely – the lockring is integral to the cassette and any damage will turn it into a 200€ paperweight.

DickBarton

Came off dead easy, goes on easy enough but how tight does it go? Doesn’t seem to be getting tight…but I’m also not overdoing the tightening.
    Freehub isn’t staying on now…all seals are present and in place but it isn’t holding.

otsdr
    Free Member

Ok, so the seal looks like it is soft rubber ( http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0349/7357/products/FW4557.jpeg?v=1443173068 ), so it not used for retaining the freehub.
    The drive-side cap seems to have an o-ring inside which should keep it (together with the freehub) snug against the axle – you can check if it is still in there or if it should be exchanged ( http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0349/7357/products/HU4563_9ddcefe5-10e6-48f5-ad77-6b68a5208fd0.jpeg?v=1443169111 ).

For installation see http://www.pinkbike.com/u/nate-at-bikeco-com/blog/xx1-cassette-install–creak-check.html . I had to torque mine quite a bit to get it seated completely.

egb81
    Free Member

My Superstar Tesla Evo hub does the same. It doesn’t seem to be a problem but it’s a bit irritating if you have to take the wheel off on the side if the trail as the end caps pop off pretty easily to.

DickBarton

O-ring is in end cap and appears to be seated in the end cap. The end cap pushes on and is solid…the freehub itself is sliding off with ease.

otsdr
    Free Member

The end cap friction is the only thing keeping the freehub from sliding out (X0 uses the same freehub and endcap): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXKYCgnH2iQ

DickBarton

Ok, so how do I get it to regrip? Or what size of new o-ring is needed?

Or has the links above linking to the o-ring and I’ve missed it? Yup, end cap looks like the one in the picture along with o-ring in-situ…the o-ring is on with a positive push and seems stuck on but the whole XD freehub/cassette and end cap come off without any resistance.

mjsmke

I’ve had the same thing happened to my Roam 40’s when changing tyres. It’s basically the same as a hope free hub and just pulls off/pops back on. Put it back on by turning the cassette and free hub anticlockwise with a little pressure and it pops back on.

arcadian
    Free Member

Had that myself with Roam 30s. The first time I was unlucky as it happened outside my garage on the chuckies and both the pawls fell out (swept a strong magnet around for 5 minutes until they got picked up!) so keep an eye out for that 🙂

DickBarton

Yes, it pops in and seats properly in the hub and it works when I spin it by hand. However there is no resistance to it and it comes off with ease. On the bike there is a slight play that affects shifting, it is now very delayed…

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘SRAM Roam 40 rear wheel – cassette and freehub has just fallen off’ is closed to new replies.