Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • SRAM Roam 40 freehub stuck on
  • scc999

I’ve got a set of SRAM Roam 40 wheels and the bearings are feeling a bit grumbly.
    I thought I’d remove the free-hub and check the bearings for size (I know the SRAM tech sheets can be wrong) and maybe try to pop some new grease in them.

I remember that the free hub used to just pull off (complete with cassette) but now it’s refusing to move. Spins fine, just wont pull off.

I’ve tried a fair bit of force (supported wheel on blocks, stood on tyre, pulled on cassette REALLY hard) – nothing.

Want to get this sorted so I can get a spare set of bearings ready for when the grumbly ones die.

Any suggestions on what stupid mistake I’m making or tricks to get the damn thing off?

Thanks in advance.

Si

teethgrinder

Have you taken the end caps off?

FWIW, helped a mate with his and the SLX M7000 cassette must have had the lockring tightened to well over specified torque (or was actually at 40nM). Took two of us to get it off, using a ring spanner on the socket ratchet for extra leverage.

When it came off eventually, the 11t cog had sheared off the splines creating a FUBAR freehub body. £60-odd for a replacement from zee Germans.

He had tried the day before and the cassette tool slipped, and then sliced a nice lump of skin off of his knuckle because of the flat-bladed spokes. Stupid wheels.

scc999

Yep, end caps removed, although it always used to come off with the endcap in place!

scc999

Hopeful bump for the evening crowd.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘SRAM Roam 40 freehub stuck on’ is closed to new replies.