Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Sram road discs?
  • FOG

Having had a few sets of Avids , I now avoid all Sram brakes like the plague. However , having decided on buying a hydro disc road bike , I find most of the choices in my limited price range are Sram brakes. Plus I remember there was a recall on some Sram road discs early in production.
    Will I have awful Juicy moments of brake drag and bleeds every 10 mins or are modern Sram road brakes a much more user friendly prospect? And is there much difference between brakes in different group sets?

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

Not heard any bad things about Sram road discs , sure they had a recall , I think because they didn’t work properly in extreme cold weather the like of which we never get in the UK . What would put me off however is the double tap shifting , I much prefer Shimano shifting . Also the ergonomics , Sram have really tall brake hoods to accommodate the reservoir Shimano look much neater .

crazy-legs

They’re fine now. The recall was slightly embarrassing but was nothing to do with the actual engineering, it was a simple O-ring that could fail in prolonged sub-zero temperatures and that came from a third party manufacturer.

Personally I quite like the feel of the hoods. I’m not a huge fan of the double tap shifting but then I’ve never owned a bike with SRAM, only used a couple briefly so I imagine if I took the time to get used to it, it’d be fine.

As soon as SRAM e-Tap wireless shifting is available with hydro discs, that’d be my ideal groupset.

robgclarkson
    Free Member

Sram rival hrd user here… utterly faultless, no squelling, and so far (1k miles) no bleeding. Superstar kevlar pads and hope floating rotors…. highly recommended.

mattsccm
    Free Member

I love mine. Wouldn’t touch Shimano, can’t abide moving brake levers. If only Campag ones were about as their shifting system is even better.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Sram road discs?’ is closed to new replies.