• This topic has 5 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by cyco.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • sram rival brake tyre clearance
  • squealingbrakes
    Free Member

Just fitted a 28mm Schwalbe Pro One tyre on the front wheel, and found the clearance from the top of the tyre to the brake caliper is only about 1mm, so when the tyre picks up the crap from the wet road you get a constant rubbing. Bit disappointing since my old 28mm Conti tyres fitted fine, and Sram market their brakes as fitting 28mm tyres. Fork clearance is good.

My options seem to be:
    – put up with it
    – buy some 25mm tyres

Read somewhere adding a thick washer to the mounting bolt might improve clearance, but looking at the bike I can’t see it will make much difference. Would swapping in Ultegra calipers help? An expensive fix though!

cyco
    Free Member

I’m thinking about the same setup. Do you have the 10 speed group’s Rival brakes or the Rival 22 ?

xyeti
    Free Member

I’ve found Schwalbe tyres taller than others, maybe that’s just the ones I’m using with the puncture strip? But I wouldn’t have gone any bigger than 25 without Cantis. Of course that’s easy for me to say as I’ve only got old fashioned cantis on mine.

Or as Cyco asks, are you 10 or 11? With the shift in tubeless road I’d have thought the newer 11 speed stuff had factored this in.

squealingbrakes
    Free Member

Its Rival 22.

The front tyre is currently off the bike after it punctured on the second ride. The latex sealed after a few minutes, enough to get me home. A few days later I was just spinning the wheel in fresh air when I got the pssss sound for no apparent reason, so have replaced with a tubed tyre while I patch the Pro One.

Not put a 28mm on the rear yet, but there seems to be more clearance to the brakes. I guess the clearance is a function of where the brake fixing bolt is formed in the frame/fork, and I was just unlucky with the fork.

Puncture after two rides is telling me these are summer tyres.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I have never had clearance issues with Rival calipers. Although they were pretty close on the rear of one bike. That’s using 25c GP4000s tyres, which size up pretty massive.

Currently using 25c Michelin Pro 4 service course, they’re huge. Light weight tubes fitted, have done lots of miles on them this winter. No punctures. Tubeless ain’t worth the **** about.

cyco
    Free Member

All your weight is on the rear wheel it seems best to put a 28 mm rear and a 23 or 25 in front.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘sram rival brake tyre clearance’ is closed to new replies.