Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • SRAM Rival 1 or 11??
  • hardtailonly

About to order a Pickenflick … 1×11 or 2×11?

Riding mostly offroad. Not CX racing, mixed local trails, events like the Dirty Reiver and 3PCX, and hopefully Torino-Nice Rally next year. I like 1x … On my MTB, and instinct is to go with that, but sensible head says 2×11 for greater gear range and versatility.

People’s experiences and uses if both, and anyone been in the same conundrum, chosen one and wished they’d chosen the other?

mboy
    Free Member

but sensible head says 2×11 for greater gear range and versatility.

Versatility? Yes, probably

Gear range? ONLY just, and that’s if you’re running an 11-32 and a compact… 428% plays 420%

The only bind with 1x for me is on the road, where there’s several ratio gaps of more than 15% on the 10-42 cassette (none are more than 20% though), where a 2x setup typically has slightly closer gaps. Remember that a 2x setup is only effectively giving you maybe 13 or 14 distinct ratios, and that the other 8 or 9 are all duplicates. But given that those 13 or 14 are covering roughly the same range as 11 on a 1x setup, that’s why they’re slightly closer together.

I’d say the more offroad you ride, the more 1x makes a case for itself. If you do a lot of road, and like to keep pedalling at a constant cadence, then 1x might be a little frustrating. Mind you, so would a compact with an 11-32 casette!

jamiep
    Free Member

I’ve 2*11 on my XLS. Although it has since been swapped to 1*11 originally for racing on (with a narrow/wide chainring and non-operating left shifter, and a 32T only ranged mech). Does choosing one mean that you cant chop and change things in future like this? If I was gravel grinding, I’d swap back

kelron
    Free Member

I’d go 1x especially as you’re leaning that way already. I prefer the simplicity of it and it doesn’t feel harder to ride up hill than my heavy hardtail with a granny ring.

For reference I’m using a 38t chainring and 11-42 cassette on my whyte Friston. I think I’d prefer 36 at the front as I’ve not found top end speed to be a problem.

hardtailonly

Thanks. Currently running 11/34 with 34-50 chainset on my Saracen Hack 2×10) so that’s what I’m used to in CX / road bike terms. The Pickenflick comes with 11/32 with a compact, or 11-42 and a 42t chainring. Think I’ll go with my gut and the advice shared thus far …

aP
    Free Member

If you’re prepared to go off-piste a bit then you could look at the new range of compact+ cranks from Sugino/ FSA/ Praxisworks. I’ve gone 44/30 (Sugino) with 11/28 on my Bokeh and that’s enough for decent climbing gears and pedalling up to about 40kmh without too many odd jumps in gears. That’s with using eTap HRD wifli so if I did feel like lower gears I could look at 11/32 for specific events. It was fine on Tuscany Roads which was fairly climby carrying bikepacks.

onandon
    Free Member

I’ve been 1×11 on most of my road bikes for about three years.
    Pickenflick is force cx1 with a 40 chainring and 11/40 xtr cassette. I don’t have an issue with the slight gaps and find this range enough for everything I do ( I lride in the mountains around Geneva )

Tyres can have a big impact on your gearing so factor that in to your choice.
    Note – when going from a 700/30 to a 700/40

oysterkite
    Free Member

On my CX (I run 40mm tyres mixed surface and 28mm Road only ) I currently run 1×11 50×11-42 which is perfect (but I’d swap to a 42 front ring if it were solely off road) , on my rigid 29er/fatbike I run 2×10 22/36 x 11-42 which means I can climb up walls (did the Tuscany Trail this year and was one of the very few who could manage the initial crazy steep goat tracks-bike was loaded though) . Personally if I’m doing both road and trail (and it’s not crazy steep off road ) I’d go 1×11 as I love the simplicity but there’s an element of compromise

mos

I would say if you’re going offroad then the low end of the 1 x 11 wins out. I have it on my xls & yes the gaps are a bit tighter on 2 x 11 but for me its not really an issue & i’m pretty sure its not the reason why i finish nearly last in cx races (that’s because i don’t have a skinsuit obvs).

mattsccm
    Free Member

My Pick has a double c/s. Much prefer the close ratios but I suspect most newer MTB ERS wont . Habit I reckon.

hardtailonly

Hmm … Having to rethink. Finance currently not available on the Rival 1 model, but oddly it IS available on the Rival 11. Have rung PX several times and getting mixed messages, ranging from “it’s a problem with the website, try later” (I have been ‘trying later’ constantly since 4pm this afternoon!) to “discounts on some models are so great we can’t afford to offer 0% finance on all bikes” …

I may well be forced into the 2×11 option, but having also given it a bit more thought, just seems to make a bit more sense practically. The med mech has capacity for an 11-36 cassette, which will give a lower gear than the 11-42 on the 1x42t option, and give a higher top end. I know most of my riding will be off road, and hopefully some laden up bike packing, so starting to feel the 2×11 makes practical (and financial) sense. ❓

hardtailonly

I guess the other thing is that 2×11 gives me the option to go 1×11 in the future if I wanted to with a NW ring, cassette and new long cage mech, whereas reverting to 2×11 from 1×11 would involve a new left hand shifter as well …

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘SRAM Rival 1 or 11??’ is closed to new replies.